This Butter Board with Olives and Roasted Garlic takes the latest internet trend to the next level with a salty, savory twist. Serve it with bread, crackers, pretzels, and more for a crowd-pleasing appetizer perfect for game day, holidays, and more!
Why This Butter Board Recipe Works
If you haven’t jumped on the viral butter board craze yet, this is your sign. As soon as we saw the original recipe, we knew we had to give it a try! We started with a sweet Baklava-inspired butter board. Now, we’ve come up with the perfect savory alternative to satisfy all your tastebuds, too! This butter board recipe is quick to make, full of healthy fats, and loaded with flavor. From start to finish, it’s ready in 10 minutes and perfect for feeding a crowd.
What’s a Butter Board?
A butter board is a charcuterie-inspired appetizer. As the name suggests, it is literally a board full of butter. However, it doesn’t stop there! The butter is mixed with and topped with various herbs, spices, and garnishes to create a truly original taste that’s perfect for spreading, dipping, and dunking with veggies, bread, crackers, pretzels, and more.
How to Use a Butter Board
Use a butter board like you would any other appetizer recipe! Set it out for easy snacking at every occasion. Pair it with all your favorite dipping items like focaccia bread, crackers, veggies, and more.
Ingredients You’ll Need
One of the great things about butter boards is how simple ingredients can create truly incredible flavor, and this recipe is no different! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – Unsalted or sea salted butter tastes great. Choose whichever you like best.
- Olives – We used a combination of kalamata and green olives, but you can use whatever you like best.
- Nuts – Toasted pine nuts add a hearty flavor and tons of healthy fats to keep you full.
- Flavorings – Za’atar, sea salt, and garlic combine for the best savory taste.
How to Make a Savory Butter Board Recipe
Take a look at our top tips for building a basic butter board recipe here. Then, to create this specific version, follow the instructions below, and don’t forget to scroll to the bottom for the complete details.
- Preheat the oven.
- Cut off the top 1/4th of the garlic head to expose the garlic cloves inside.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and add a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper on top.
- Cover the garlic with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 minutes. Then, set it aside to cool.
- Spread room temperature butter in a single layer on top of a large serving board.
- Squeeze the garlic over the butter.
- Top with olives, pine nuts, and seasonings.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Can I Make This Appetizer Ahead of Time?
Yes! Tightly wrap your board with plastic or cling wrap, and store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Then, when you’re ready to serve, let the board sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes to warm.
More Appetizers You’ll Love
Looking for showstopping appetizers? Take a look at our favorite recipes below!
- This Whipped Goat Cheese with Strawberries is a sweet, creamy snack even the kids will love.
- If you’re looking for a healthy option that’s easy to make, we’ve got you covered with this White Bean Dip with Roasted Tomatoes.
- Rich, creamy, and delicious, one bite of this Fried Burrata with Romesco Sauce and you’ll be obsessed.
- Earthy and light, this Fire Roasted Baba Ganoush will become part of your new appetizer rotation.
Butter Board with Olives and Roasted Garlic
- 1 head garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- Sea salt flakes to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 pound unsalted or sea salted butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 3 Tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
- 1/2 teaspoon zaatar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the top 1/4 of the head of garlic to expose the cloves inside. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover the garlic with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Spread room temperature butter in a single later on a large serving board.
- Squeeze the cooled garlic over the butter.
- Top with the Kalamata olives, green olives, pine nuts, and a sprinkle of Zaatar and sea salt.
- Serve immediately with toasted ciabatta bread or a crusty bread of choice.