This baked shrimp scampi is so easy to make, it’s ready in less than 15 minutes and has a crispy panko parmesan crust!
Baked Shrimp Scampi
Shrimp scampi is buttery, garlicky, and sometimes cheesy! It can be baked, pan-fried, or tossed with pasta. To us, shrimp scampi is anything that invoices garlic, butter, and herbs. It’s commonly served with a good crusty bread or over angel hair pasta.
Despite popular beliefs, shrimp scampi is not a traditional or classic Italian recipe, it’s in fact from an Italian-American origin. “Scampi” in Italian comes from the word Langoustine, which is a type of crustacean that’s common in Europe. It’s commonly made using jumbo shrimp and pan fried with butter, a generous amount of garlic and sometimes lemon juice. Another example of a shrimp scampi is our Easy Baked Shrimp Scampi .
Shrimp Scampi Ingredients
Raw Jumbo Shrimp
Lemon juice + Zest
Salt and Pepper
How to Make Shrimp Scampi
Start with raw jumbo shrimp, you can use frozen raw shrimp that has been thawed.
Toss with olive oil, shallots, butter, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
Everything should be combined well.
For the parmesan panko topping, you will add panko, grated parmesan cheese, butter, garlic, Italian parsley, and cilantro.
Toss the topping together.
Arrange the shrimp, tail side up.
Sprinkle the topping over the shrimp.
Bake for 12-14 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Baked Shrimp Scampi
- 2 lbs large shrimp tail on (12-15 per lb)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp melted butter divided
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium diced shallot
- 1/4 cup italian parsley
- 2 tbsp cilantro optional
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add rinsed and dried shrimp, shallots, olive oil, lemon juice + zest, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl combine panko, parmesan cheese, parsley, cilantro, garlic, and melted butter. Mix all the ingredients together until it is combined.
- Arrange shrimp in a baking dish, tail side up. Top with bread crumb mixture. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cooked.