This Easy Baked Shrimp Scampi features tender shrimp and crumbly breadcrumbs for a restaurant-quality dish that can be made in just 15 minutes right from the comfort of your own home!
Table of Contents
What Is Scampi?
Before we begin, let’s talk about what exactly scampi actually is! In most countries, the term refers to pretty much any time of prawn. However, in the United Kingdom, scampi refers to a single type of prawn known as a Langoustine. Contrary to popular belief, prawns are not actually shrimp but are instead a type of small lobster. Today, the term is used to refer to a popular dish made with prawns that have been sautéed in garlic and butter.
Therefore, the term shrimp scampi means shrimp lobster and honestly doesn’t make much sense! However, the name is believed to have come about when Italian chefs began preparing traditional scampi in America. Due to the fact that prawns are hard to find, they were replaced with shrimp. Therefore, it is believed the dish was originally referred to as scampi-style shrimp. It was eventually shortened to just shrimp scampi as we know it today.
Whatever the origins, one thing we know for sure is that we can’t get enough of this dish!
Easy Shrimp Scampi Ingredients
Thought of as a complicated and decadent recipe, baked shrimp scampi actually comes together with simple ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Shrimp – Large shrimp work best. Opt for shrimp with the tail left on as it will add more flavor to the dish.
- Melted Butter – This is used for extra richness and to help create crispy, golden-brown breadcrumbs.
- Olive Oil – Due to the fact that there are such few ingredients, splurging for high-quality olive oil will be key to creating the absolute best taste.
- Garlic and Shallot – When combined, the unique flavors of garlic and shallot form the irresistible base of this scampi sauce, permeating the rest of the ingredients with depth and flavor.
- Herbs & Seasonings – To keep this baked shrimp scampi light yet flavorful, we included a handful of fresh herbs and spices including Italian parsley, cilantro, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Lemon Juice & Zest – This helps cut through the heaviness of the oil and cheese, providing a light flavor and refreshing taste.
- Breadcrumbs – Technically, you can use any breadcrumbs you have on hand. However, we’ve found that Panko breadcrumbs work best to create a crispy, crumbly texture.
- Cheese – Fresh grated Parmesan cheese is the final touch to bring out the flavors of the rest of the ingredients, creating the ultimate comfort food.
How to Make Baked Shrimp Scampi
One bite of this homemade easy shrimp scampi, and you’ll never go back to the restaurant version again!
- Preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Combine the shrimp, shallots, oil, lemon juice and zest, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the shrimp in a baking dish, and top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Typically, baked shrimp scampi is served over a bed of noodles such as in this garlic shrimp scampi. Or, for a lighter option, it also pairs well with zucchini or veggie noodles in healthy shrimp scampi. However, it can also be served over a bed of rice, with gnocchi pasta, or on its own as a scrumptious appetizer!
For the best taste and texture, we highly recommend serving your baked shrimp scampi right away. However, if you must, it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
We don’t recommend freezing any leftovers as the shrimp are likely to become soggy, and the dairy doesn’t thaw well.
More Shrimp-Filled Recipes to Try
- Inspired by our Mom’s Egyptian Shrimp Tagine, this Shrimp Bake in Tomato Sauce is a hearty recipe sure to delight your guests!
- These Blackened Shrimp Bowls are outrageously flavorful and just as nutritious for a dinner you can feel good about.
- If you’re looking for something light and fresh yet comforting and indulgent, this One Pot Pesto Pasta with Shrimp is just for you!
- Made with just a few pantry ingredients, this Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Rice is a healthy recipe that comes together in minutes.
Easy Baked Shrimp Scampi
- 2 pounds large shrimp tail on (12-15 per lb)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter divided
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium diced shallot
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro optional
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a large bowl add rinsed and dried shrimp, shallots, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper.
- In a second bowl combine Panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, cilantro, garlic, and melted butter. Mix until well combined.
- Arrange shrimp in a baking dish, tail side up. Top with bread crumb mixture. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.