This Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma Wrap transforms your favorite Middle Eastern street food into a quick and easy homemade recipe! Cooked to juicy perfection, tender chunks of chicken are seasoned with warm spices and stuffed in fluffy pita bread or naan bread and topped off with fresh veggies, tzatziki, and more for a satisfying meal you can whip up in minutes.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma Wrap
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma
- Topping Options
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store
- Common Questions About This Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma Wrap
- More Delicious Middle Eastern Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma Wrap Recipe Recipe
Why You’ll Love This
Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma Wrap
Who can ever say no to a warm shawarma wrap? It’s one of our favorite street foods and is something we’ve learned how to make just as good (if not better) at home! If you’re feeding a crowd, you can’t go wrong with sheet pan chicken shawarma.
However, when hanger strikes and you need a quick, delicious meal in a pinch, this
- Made with simple, nutritious ingredients.
- High in protein and full of robust flavors.
- Cooked in less than 20 minutes.
- Great to feed the whole family with ease.
What Is a Chicken Shawarma Wrap?
Traditionally, a chicken shawarma wrap is a sandwich of sorts made with shawarma chicken that is slow-roasted on a spit over the course of several days. Then, it is shaved off the rack and stuffed in pita bread with fresh veggies and Middle Eastern sauces.
Common in the Middle East, you’ll often find chicken shawarma or shawarma meat of any kind being served by street vendors as part of a platter or in a shawarma wrap. For this
Is a Chicken Shawarma Wrap Basically a Burrito?
Not quite. Although both foods contain seasoned meat wrapped in bread or a tortilla, this is where their similarities end.
To begin, shawarma wraps are always made with shawarma meat such as chicken, lamb, or beef. Then, there are a few extra ingredients like veggies and hummus, tzatziki, or tahini. There isn’t much variation in how the food is made.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken – Sliced chicken tenders cook quickly and make for a fairly lean recipe.
- Veggies – Red peppers, green peppers, red onion, and garlic add a pop of color, extra nutrients, and tons of flavor.
- Olive Oil – A great source of healthy fats, this ensures the seasonings cling to the chicken and helps all of the ingredients crisp up in the
- Shawarma Spices – This can usually be found in the ethnic or spice section of your local grocery store. Or, you can easily make your own DIY shawarma spice blend!
- Greek Yogurt – This is a key component in any shawarma wrap recipe! The creamy texture locks in moisture, keeping the chicken juicy and adding a satisfying tang that balances out the warmth of the spices.
- Naan Bread – This forms the base of the warp, holding all of the filings. If preferred, pita bread works great, too.
How to Make
Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma
Once you test out this
- Prepare. Slice all the veggies and chicken, and preheat your air fryer.
- Combine. Add all the ingredients to the basket of the
air fryer, tossing to combine.
- Air Fryer. Cook until the veggies are soft and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165˚ Fahrenheit.
- Assemble. Divide the shawarma chicken and veggies into naan bread, add all your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
When it comes to making the perfect
You can definitely serve your
- Whipped Feta with Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- Egyptian Cucumber & Tomato Salad
- Spiraled Cucumber Yogurt Salad
How to Store
If you want to prepare your
That said, once fully cooled, you can transfer the chicken shawarma wrap filling to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Common Questions About This
Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma Wrap
Generally speaking, this chicken shawarma wrap is a well-rounded, healthy meal! High in protein, healthy fats, and fiber, it also has a good amount of carbs for a scrumptious recipe that will leave you feeling full and energized.
Chicken shawarma isn’t meant to be crispy, because the yogurt marinade locks in moisture, keeping it tender and juicy.
For this chicken shawarma wrap recipe, we prefer to use chicken tenders or chicken breasts to keep it fairly lean. However, chicken thighs can be used, too. Just keep in mind that the cooking time will need to be adjusted, and the taste and texture will change.
More Delicious Middle Eastern Chicken Recipes
Looking for more easy homemade Middle Eastern chicken recipes? Try out some of our favorite options below!
Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma Wrap Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons shawarma spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 6 pieces Naan bread for serving
- Optional Toppings: tomatoes, lettuce, parsley
- Preheat the air fryer to 380˚ Fahrenheit.
- Slice the chicken and veggies. Add all the ingredients (except the naan bread and toppings) to the basket of the air fryer, and toss to combine. (Alternatively, combine the ingredients in a large bowl).
- Air fry 16-18 minutes or until the veggies are soft and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165˚ Fahrenheit.
- Divide the mixture, and add it to the naan bread along with toppings, if desired.
- Store the chicken shawarma filling separately in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.