Crusted with a light Panko batter, air fried tilapia is a better-for-you fried fish recipe that’s lower in carbs and fat but packed full of protein. Served over a bed of coconut rice and topped with zingy mango salsa, it’s a complete meal full of flavor!
Why You’ll Love Air Fried Tilapia
If you haven’t jumped on the air fryer bandwagon yet, this is your sign. Seriously, they’re extremely popular for good reason! After all, not only are they super fast but also great for turning all your favorite fried foods into slightly healthier meals. This air fried tilapia is no different! It’s:
- Light, crunchy, and crispy
- Ready in just 15 minutes
- Perfect served over rice, in tortillas, and more!
What Is Tilapia?
Tilapia is a white, freshwater fish that is high-protein, low-carb, and low-fat. Fairly mild in flavor, it’s used in a wide variety of recipes and can be baked, fried, grilled, or even cooked in the skillet!
Air Fried Tilapia Ingredients
For this recipe, we created the lightest air fried tilapia you’ll ever taste, but we didn’t stop there! We paired it with a refreshing mango salsa and fluffy coconut rice for a satisfying meal that tastes great. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Tilapia – Fresh tilapia filets form the base of this dish.
- Breading – To create a light coating we used a combination of Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and all-purpose flour. However, if needed, feel free to swap out any breadcrumbs you prefer.
- Seasonings – For a slightly spicy, savory flavor we included chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Mango – Full of vitamin C, fresh mango is unbelievably decadent and sweet.
- Veggies – A blend of tomato, red onion, cucumber, and jalapeño create a nice crunch and slightly spicy, refreshing flavor.
- Avocado – A great source of healthy fats, the creaminess of diced avocado balances out the texture of the rest of the ingredients, creating the perfect balance of taste and texture.
- Seasonings – Fresh pepper, a dash of lemon juice, and cilantro help elevate the natural ingredients.
- Rice – For the best results, we recommend using either short-grain white rice or Jasmine rice.
- Coconut Milk – Absorbed by the rice, coconut milk adds the creamiest texture.
- Water – Water helps dilute the coconut milk so that it does not completely overpower the rice.
- Salt – Just a dash of salt is the secret to creating the tastiest, fluffiest rice you’ll ever make.
How to Make Air Fried Tilapia with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice
Just as with the ingredient list, we’ve broken down this recipe into three components to help you create a complete meal. Feel free to make them all, or pick what you need!
Air Fried Tilapia
- Combine the seasonings.
- Add the flour and half of the Panko to a small bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine the rest of the Panko, Parmesan, and seasonings.
- Whisk the eggs in a third bowl.
- Dip the tilapia in the bowl with eggs, then the flour, and back into the eggs. Finish by coating it with the Panko and Parmesan mixture.
- Air fry at 375° Fahrenheit for 14-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Chop the produce.
- Add the ingredients to a bowl, and mix to combine.
- Top with lemon juice and seasonings.
- Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, and serve!
Air Fryer Tips
Don’t Overcrowd the
Use a Meat Thermometer. Depending on the size of your tilapia, the cooking times may vary. To ensure you don’t under or overcook your fish, use a meat thermometer to check that it reaches an internal temperature of 145° Fahrenheit.
Use Cooking Spray or
Can I Use Frozen Tilapia?
We prefer to use fresh, but frozen tilapia will work, too. Just be sure to let it thaw first! Otherwise, it won’t cook evenly.
Storage and Reheating
If you want to make this meal ahead of time, we recommend storing all of the ingredients separately. Kept in an airtight container, air fried tilapia will stay fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Meanwhile, mango salsa will keep for up to 1-2 days, and coconut rice can be stored for up to 5 days.
Reheating: The best way to reheat your air fried tilapia is to place it back in the
Air Fryer Recipes You Won’t Want to Miss
- Tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges are flavor-loaded for a side no one can resist.
- These tasty Mini
Air FryerChicken Taquitos are an absolutely delightful treat!
- Air Fryer Honey Garlic Wings are outrageously yummy and completely irresistible.
- Oil-free and full of plant-based protein, Air Fryer Falafel is the best falafel you’ll ever taste.
Air Fried Tilapia with Mango Salsa
Air Fried Tilapia
- 4 Tilapia pieces
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs whisked
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small diced fresh mango
- 1 medium diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced english cucumber
- 1 seeded and chopped jalapeño
- 1 medium diced ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of half a lemon or lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rinsed short grain or jasmine rice
- 14 ounces canned coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- In a small bowl mix the seasonings, and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl add flour and half of the seasoning mixture. In another bowl add the panko, parmesan cheese, and the rest of the seasonings. In a third shallow bowl, add the whisked eggs.
- Dip the tilapia into the egg, then into the flour, then back into the egg, then coat with the panko and parmesan.
- Air fry at 375° F for 14-15 minutes, making sure to flip half way through.
- Add all the diced ingredients in a bowl. Squeeze lemon juice, and adjust the seasonings to taste.
- In a large pot , add rice, coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Place a serving of the cooked rice on a plate, add a piece of the air fried tilapia, and top with the mango salsa! Garnish with a lemon or lime and some fresh cilantro.