A healthy air fryer tilapia with a panko-parmesan crust. It’s crispy and full of flavor. Serve it with bed of coconut rice and top it with a mango salsa. If you don’t want coconut rice, this tilapia is delicious over corn tortillas and the mango salsa.
This recipe requires a few steps, but it is worth it! You can choose to make one of these recipes or all!
Tilapia is a freshwater white fish. It’s light, flakey, low-in calories and fat but high in protein.
Fresh Mango Salsa
We LOVE tilapia and shrimp paired with a fresh mango salsa. This recipe has mangoes, avocados, cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, and fresh lemon (or lime). If the jalapeño is too spicy, add a touch of honey to help balance out the flavors.
Ways to eat Mango Salsa
Pair the salsa with shrimp or chicken. You can cook shrimp and add to corn tortillas and top with the salsa. You can also substitute the tilapia for chicken breast if you aren’t a fan of seafood.
This rice is made on the stove but you can make this in a rice cooker.
Air Fried Tilapia with Mango Salsa
- 4 Tilapia pieces
- 1.5 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs whisked
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small diced fresh mango
- 1 medium diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced english cucumber
- 1 seeded and chopped jalapeño
- 1 medium diced ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of half a lemon or lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups rinsed short grain or jasmine rice
- 14 oz canned coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- In a small bowl mix the seasonings, set aside.
- In a shallow bowl add flour and half of your seasoning. In another bowl add the panko, parmesan cheese, and the rest of your seasonings. In a third shallow bowl add the whisked eggs.
- Dip the tilapia into the egg, then into the flour, then back into the egg, then coat with the panko and parmesan.
- Air fry at 375 degrees F. for 14-15 minutes, making sure to flip half way through.
- Add all the diced ingredients in a bowl. Squeeze lemon juice and adjust the seasoning.
- On high heat add rice, coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Place a serving of the cooked rice on a plate, add a piece of the cooked tilapia and top with the mango salsa! Garnish with a lemon or lime and some fresh cilantro.
Substitute cod for the tilapia.
If you don’t have an air fryer the tilapia can be baked in the oven at 400 degrees F. for 14-16 minutes. Flip half way through baking.
Peach can be substituted for mango.