Cucumber and tomato salad with whipped feta is the tastiest appetizer you’ll ever make! Loaded with nutrients, it’s smooth, creamy, crunchy, super refreshing, and so good for you, too. Serve it with homemade pita chips, fresh veggies, crackers, and more.
More Than Your Average Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Okay, you guys. It’s no secret that we love a good cucumber and tomato combo. There’s just something about the vibrant colors and refreshing taste that’s totally irresistible. But, know what makes it even better? The addition of whipped feta! If you’ve never tried it, you need to jump in the kitchen ASAP and prepare for your whole world to be changed. That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but this cucumber and tomato salad with whipped feta is seriously delicious. Plus, it’s also:
- Ready in minutes
- Perfect for serving a crowd
- Full of nutrients and fiber
What Is Whipped Feta?
As the name suggests, whipped feta is a cheese-based dip made with feta. The hard crumbly cheese is combined with yogurt and other ingredients and whipped until a smooth, fluffy texture is formed. As a result, it is perfect for dipping, spreading, and more. We love to experiment with flavor variations, using whipped feta for recipes like creamy whipped feta dip with roasted tomatoes and chickpeas, whipped feta pizza, and, of course, this cucumber and tomato salad recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this recipe, you’ll start by tossing together the ingredients for the salad. Then, you’ll make the whipped feta dip before combining them all together! Here’s everything you’ll need:
For the Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Tomatoes – We like to use baby tomatoes for their small size and sweet taste, but any tomatoes you like best can be used.
- Cucumbers – English cucumbers are best as they’re sweeter and container fewer seeds than regular cucumbers.
- Olive oil – To form the base of the dressing and provide a good boost of healthy fats.
- Lemon juice – Helps to cut through the heaviness of the oil for a light, refreshing flavor.
- Red wine vinegar – Similarly to lemon juice, vinegar helps cut through the fat and provides a good amount of antioxidants and other health benefits you can read more about here!
- Herbs and spices – A sprinkle of salt, pepper, and dried mint makes for the most flavorful cucumber tomato salad you’ll ever taste!
For the Whipped Feta
- Feta cheese – For the best results, use a block of full-fat feta cheese.
- Yogurt – If you want to add a boost of protein, opt for Greek yogurt, but any yogurt will do as long as it is unflavored.
- Lemon – Lemon juice and zest lightens the taste and makes for a cohesive dish.
If you want to really go all out with this recipe, feel free to top it off with add-ins like:
- Chopped Nuts
- Toasted Pine Nuts
- Red Onions
- An extra sprinkle of herbs and spices like mint, oregano, garlic, or Italian seasoning
How to Make The Best Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad
One of the best things about this recipe is that it can be made in minutes and doesn’t even require you to turn on the oven! You’ll just need a sharp knife and a food processor.
- Create the cucumber tomato salad: Slice the cucumbers and tomatoes into small, bite-sized pieces. Place them in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining salad ingredients to create a dressing. Drizzle it over the veggies mixture, and toss to combine.
- Whip the feta: Add all of the feta dip ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until a smooth, fluffy texture is formed.
- Layer: Spread the whipped feta over a serving board, or place it in a bowl. Sprinkle the cucumber tomato salad on top. Chill in the fridge, and enjoy!
If you wanted, you could definitely serve this cucumber tomato feta salad as a light vegetarian meal. However, it also makes for a fantastic appetizer or side course with all your favorite main dishes like Middle Eastern chicken and potatoes, sheet pan salmon, and baked shrimp scampi.
And don’t forget to pair it with pita chips, veggie sticks, crackers, or tortilla chips for dipping!
Cucumber and Tomato Salad Frequently Asked Questions
How can I keep my cucumbers from getting watery?
Slice your cucumbers, and sprinkle salt on them before adding them to your salad! This will help leach out some of the excess water without affecting the taste.
Should I peel my cucumbers before making the cucumber and tomato salad?
You can, but you definitely don’t have to! The skin adds a nice crunch and fiber. However, if your cucumber has a super thick exterior, you may want to go ahead and peel it off so it’s easier to eat.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
This recipe is best served right away. However, if you want to prepare it in advance, it can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 1 day. For the best results, we recommend storing the cucumber tomato salad separately from the whipped feta and combining them just before serving.
More Tasty Salads to Try
Whether you’re looking for easy ways to incorporate more veggies into your life or just love a good salad, these recipes always hit the spot!
- Cucumber Thai Salad – Sweet, crunchy, and super tasty, this salad makes for a great side dish, appetizer, or main entree.
- Greek Salad – Made with common ingredients and quick to toss together, this recipe checks off all our boxes for the perfect salad recipe.
- Lentil Salad Recipe – A filling option, this recipe is made with hearty lentils, fresh veggies, plenty of herbs, and a creamy tahini dressing that’s out-of-this-world!
- Cobb Salad – Our recipe takes traditional cobb salads to the next level with a creamy green goddess dressing you’ll adore.
Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Whipped Feta
For the cucumber and tomato salad
- 1 cup sliced baby tomatoes
- 6 baby cucumbers or (1 English cucumber) (chopped)
- 1/4 lemon (juiced)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the whipped feta
- 8 oz block feta
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (or plain)
- lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon squeeze
- In a large bowl, add the sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. In a second smaller bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, mint, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture over the vegetables, and toss to combine.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the feta, yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Pulse until a smooth, fluffy texture is formed.
- Spread the whipped feta over a serving board, or place it in a large bowl. Sprinkle the cucumber and tomato salad on top.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes, and enjoy!