Coated with warm spices and hearty olive oil, Roasted Olives are made in the slow cooker for an out-of-this-world appetizer or snack! Eat them on their own, or use them to top hummus, pizza, pasta, and more.
Table of Contents
Why We Love Roasted Olives
With recipes like Olive Tapenade Bruschetta and Olive Cheese Bread, it’s pretty clear we’re big fans of olives. However, if we’re being totally honest, we enjoy them so much, that we’ve been known to snack on them plain! So, you can only imagine how excited we were when we learned you can roast olives and make them better than before! This recipe is:
- Made with minimal ingredients
- Quick to prepare
- Packed full of salty, savory flavor
- Perfect to eat on its own or use as a topping for all your favorite foods
Are Roasted Olives Healthy?
Yes! Olives are incredibly healthy on their own and provide a great source of vitamin E, iron, calcium, and healthy fats. So, by combining them with warm spices that pack in plenty of antioxidants and heart-healthy olive oil, we made them even healthier!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This roasted olive recipe is so simple, that you probably already have everything you need!
- Olives – We used a combination of Kalamata and green olives, but feel free to mix and match whatever you like best.
- Lemon – A bit of lemon helps cut through the heavy oils, adding a light, refreshing taste to this dish.
- Seasonings – For a savory, warm, and slightly spicy taste we included crushed red pepper, thyme, oregano, rosemary, and za’atar.
- Olive Oil – The finishing touch, olive oil enhances the natural flavor of the olives while helping the seasonings to stick.
How to Make Roasted Olives in the Slow Cooker
This recipe has so few steps, that it’s almost embarrassing. However, it’s so good, we knew we couldn’t keep it from you!
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Toss to combine.
- Cook on low for 2.5 hours.
Can I Make Roasted Olives Ahead of Time?
Yes! They’re best served warm and fresh. However, leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Then, serve them cold, or warm them up in the slow cooker or oven.
Feel free to snack on these roasted olives as they are. Or, try adding them to your favorite recipes! Some of our favorites include:
More Easy Appetizers You’ll Love
- Chickpeas, black beans, and fresh veggies combine to make this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad for a refreshing vegetarian dish.
- A classic recipe, Moroccan Zaalouk is packed full of flavor and perfect served as a dip.
- This Baked Queso Dip is everyone’s favorite option for dunking tortilla chips!
- A stunning appetizer, Burrata with Roasted Tomatoes and Za’atar Pita is always a show-stopping dish.
Slow Cooker Roasted Olives
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 6 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- zaatar for garnish
- Add kalamata olives, green olives, herbs, lemon slices, crushed red pepper, and olive oil to the slow cooker.
- Toss to combine.
- Set on low for 2.5 hours.
- Serve warm over hummus and garnish with the herbed olive oil, and zaatar seasoning.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.