This Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet is made with two layers of chocolate chip cookie dough, caramel sauce, pretzels, and caramel candy for an indulgent dessert perfect for feeding a crowd. Baked until golden and fluffy, it’s great on its own and even better topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Why Make a Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet?
We were sold on the idea of this recipe as soon as we heard the words salted caramel cookie. However, if you need a little extra convincing, here are a few reasons why you’ll love this skillet dessert recipe:
- It can be prepared in no time and bakes in under 30 minutes.
- Every bite is loaded with a sweet flavor and a combination of soft and crunchy textures.
- One batch makes enough to feed a big crowd.
- Easily customized, this Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet is tastier and more budget-friendly than any restaurant version.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this homemade salted caramel cookie skillet, we used a few shortcuts to keep the ingredient list super short and simple. Here’s what we used:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – To save time, opt for pre-made, store-bought chocolate chip cookie dough. Or, if you have the time, make a fresh batch of your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough instead!
- Pretzels – Any hard pretzels you have on hand can be used. However, we’re partial to twists.
- Caramel Sauce – Again, opt for store-bought canned caramel sauce to keep this recipe simple and quick. Or, homemade caramel sauce will taste great, too.
- Caramel Candy – Chewy caramel candies are also added to the mix. If you’ve got the time, homemade caramels are simple to make, but you definitely don’t have to go through all that effort!
How to Make the Best Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet
Not only is this caramel cookie skillet a fun dessert to feed a crowd, but it gives you all the taste and texture of freshly baked cookies with half the work! Here’s what to do:
- Prepare. To begin, preheat your oven, and grease a large skillet.
- Form the Base. Spread ½ the cookie dough evenly in the bottom of the prepared skillet.
- Add the Toppings. Drizzle ½ the caramel sauce over the dough followed by ½ the pretzels. Then, arrange the caramel pieces evenly over the dough.
- Layer. Spread the rest of the dough over the mixture, and top it off with the rest of the pretzels and caramel sauce.
- Bake. Place the skillet in the oven until the cookie dough is golden brown and baked through.
- Serve. Remove the skillet from the oven, and set it aside to cool for 10 minutes. Then, grab a spoon or a fork, and dig in!
*Note: If preferred, you can prepare this Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet in a 9×9 baking dish instead of a skillet. However, you’ll need to keep a close eye on it in the oven and adjust the baking time as needed.
With 4 layers of decadent flavors, this Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet is more than enough on its own. However, if you really want to go all out, try topping it off with extra ingredients like:
- Even more caramel sauce
- A drizzle of chocolate
- Chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans
- Chocolate chips
- A dollop of whipped cream
- Vanilla ice cream
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
This Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet is best served right away while the caramel is still gooey and the center is soft. However, if you have leftovers, they can be covered or transferred to an airtight container and stored at room temperature for up to 1-2 days. We don’t recommend freezing this specific cookie skillet recipe as the pretzels are likely to become soggy.
To serve, enjoy your caramel cookie skillet at room temperature. Or, pop it in the microwave for just a few seconds to achieve the gooey caramel texture we adore!
More Cookie Skillet Desserts
Looking for more skillet dessert recipes? Try out the delicious dishes below!
- S’mores Oatmeal Cookie Skillet
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet
- Oreo Skillet Cookie
Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet Recipe
- 1 batch chocolate chip cookie dough (divided)
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce (divided)
- 1 cup pretzel twists (partially chopped and divided)
- ½ cup caramel candies
- Optional: vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 10-inch skillet, and set aside.
- Add half the cookie dough to the bottom of the prepared skillet, spreading it out in an even layer.
- Drizzle ½ the caramel sauce on top followed by ½ the pretzels.
- Sprinkle the caramel pieces on top, spreading them out evenly.
- Spread the rest of the dough on top, covering the caramel and pretzels completely.
- Add the remaining caramel sauce and pretzels.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and set it aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Top with vanilla ice cream, if desired, and enjoy!
- Store covered at room temperature up to 2 days.