Ooey, gooey, and baked in a cast iron pan, this Peanut Butter Choc Chip Skillet Cookie Recipe takes homemade cookies to a whole new level! Loaded with warm melty peanut butter and sweet chocolate it’s an irresistible dessert you won’t be able to stop eating. Top it off with cold vanilla ice cream for an out-of-this-world flavor that will have the whole family drooling!
Why We Love This Peanut Butter Choc Chip Skillet Cookie
With endless recipes like monster cookies, soft-baked M&M cookies, and double chocolate chunk cookies, it’s pretty obvious we’re huge fans of cookie recipes. However, in our opinion, there’s nothing that can quite beat a warm skillet cookie recipe! Especially when it’s loaded with gooey peanut butter and mouthwateringly sweet chocolate chips. Even better, this recipe is:
- Baked in a cast iron skillet
- Quick and easy – no rolling out individual cookies or waiting for several batches to bake and cool
- Crisp on the edges yet soft and gooey in the center
- Filled with layers of chocolate chips, gooey peanut butter, and more chocolate chips!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The ingredients for this skillet cookie look pretty similar to our standard chocolate chip cookies but are loaded with extra peanut buttery goodness! Here’s what you’ll need:
- All-Purpose Flour – You can’t have a skillet cookie without flour!
- Baking Powder – Use brand new baking soda for the softest, fluffiest cookies you’ll ever taste.
- Salt – Just a pinch of salt helps enhance the flavors in the rest of the dish.
- Butter – Make sure your butter is at room temperature for the best results.
- Peanut Butter – Old Home Foods Peanut Butter is our favorite brand. Both the plain and honey versions taste incredible in this skillet cookie recipe!
- Sugar – A combination of cane sugar and brown sugar is used to sweeten the dough while also creating a soft texture.
- Eggs – These are crucial to holding the dough together and giving your skillet cookie a little structure.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract results in the perfect sweet flavor.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – Feel free to use as few or as many chocolate chips as you’d like. Also, if you prefer, you can easily swap them out for dark chocolate or white chocolate instead!
Tasting like a giant Reese’s Cup, we think this choc chip skillet cookie has plenty of flavor. However, feel free to add in any extra ingredients you’d like! Some of our favorite options include:
- Chopped Nuts
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Candy Pieces (like Reese’s Cups or M&M’s)
- Chocolate Cookie Dough
How to Make the Best Skillet Cookie
Once you see how easy this skillet cookie is to make, you’ll never go back to individual cookies again!
- Preheat the oven.
- Cream the peanut butter and sugars together. Then, add in eggs and vanilla.
- In a second large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined.
- Next, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Smooth half of the cookie dough in the bottom of your skillet.
- Layer the peanut butter on top followed by the remaining cookie dough.
- Bake until golden brown on top, and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with cold vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of chocolate or peanut butter on top!
For the best choc chip skillet cookie of your life, be sure to take a look at our top-secret baking tips below!
Room Temperature Ingredients. When brought to room temperature before being mixed and baked the dairy ingredients in cookie dough form an emulsion that traps air as it bakes. As a result, you’ll end up with an extra fluffy skillet cookie!
Make Sure Your Pan Is Well-Seasoned. If you’re unfamiliar with cast iron pans, it’s important to season them before bake! Here’s a great guide to get you started.
Don’t Overbake. Cast iron gets hot, and your cookie will continue to bake even after you remove it from the oven. So, you’ll want to keep a close eye on it and remove the skillet from the oven as soon as the cookie top becomes lightly golden brown.
Can I Still Make This Recipe If I Don’t Have a Cast Iron Skillet?
Yes! Just use an oven-safe skillet instead. Your cookie might not get quite as crisp around the edges, but it will still be super delish.
Storage and Make-Ahead Options
This peanut butter choc chip skillet cookie is best when eaten right away. However, if you can’t finish the entire dish, leftovers keep well for another day!
Room Temperature: Let your skillet cookie cool completely. Then, cover it with plastic wrap, and keep it on the counter for 1-2 days.
Refrigerator: Or, if you went ahead and added ice cream or whipped cream, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Freezer: For a long-lasting skillet cookie, slice it into pieces, and store it in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Even More Skillet Cookie Recipes
One bite of this dessert, and you’ll be hooked on skillet cookie recipes for good. So, you’ll want to save these tasty variations for those times when the craving strikes!
- Oozing with fluffy marshmallows and sweet chocolate, this S’mores Cookie Skillet tastes just like your favorite summer dessert. No campfire required.
- This Monster Cookie Skillet is loaded with peanut butter, chocolate, candy, and butterscotch in every bite!
- If you’re a fan of salty and sweet flavor combinations, you’re going to adore this Salted Caramel Cookie Skillet recipe.
- Inspired by the classic candy, we know you’ll absolutely adore this Stuffed Pecan Turtle Skillet.
Peanut Butter Choc Chip Skillet Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Old Home Peanut Butter (plain or honey, divided)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream together the butter, 1/2 cup peanut butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients. Add chocolate chips and stir well. Place half the cookie dough to a skillet, spread remaining peanut butter to the cookie dough. Top with the rest of the cookie dough. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with your favorite ice cream!
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, cane sugar, and brown sugar together until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix again until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Carefully fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon half of the cookie dough into the bottom of a cast iron skillet, and smooth out with a spatula. Layer the peanut butter on top followed by the remaining cookie dough. *Tip: Place peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds-1minute to make it easier to spread!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the skillet cookie is lightly golden-brown on top. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!