Super easy and made with no refined grains, this cottage cheese protein pancakes recipe is a breakfast you can feel good about eating. Top them with fresh fruit and maple syrup for a quick meal you and the kids will love!
Why We Love this Protein Pancakes Recipe
Who can say no to a good pancake? After all, they’re always delicious and perfect any time of the day! However, traditional versions can be loaded with sugars and refined grains that lead to high energy levels and sugar crashes later. So, we decided to give them a makeover with this protein pancakes recipe! It’s:
- High in protein
- Made without any butter or additional oils
- Refined sugar-free
- And super quick to make!
We guarantee one taste, and you’ll never go back to original pancakes again!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Rolled Oats are used to replace the flour found in typical recipes and help increase the fiber content! If you’re following a gluten-free diet, make sure the oats you use are certified gluten-free!
- Egg Whites help add tons of protein to this recipe and create an extra fluffy texture.
- Eggs act as binders holding all of the ingredients together. Plus, they’re loaded with protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals!
- Cottage Cheese helps boost the protein content of these pancakes even more and adds to the fluffy texture and soft, buttery taste – without the need for actual butter!
- Vanilla Extract helps enhance the natural flavors of this recipe, creating a slightly sweet taste.
- Baking Powder is crucial to helping your pancakes rise. Be careful not to forget it!
- Cinnamon is technically optional but elevates the flavor of your pancakes from good to great!
If you want, feel free to have a little fun, and add additional flavors to your batter! Some of our favorites include:
- Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Nuts
Of course, you don’t have to add toppings. These protein pancakes are delicious on their own. However, if you want more options, try topping your pancakes with one or more toppings such as:
- Banana Coins
- Sliced Strawberries
- Nut Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Chocolate Syrup
- Whipped Cream
How to Make the Best Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender, and pulse until a smooth batter is formed.
- Let the batter sit and thicken for at least 10 minutes.
- Make your protein pancakes by adding ½ cup of batter at a time to a griddle or non-stick skillet. Then, allow each side to cook for 2 minutes or until completely set and golden brown.
- Repeat the process until all of the batter has been used.
- To finish, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Expert Baking Tip
Use small curd cottage cheese – the smaller the better! This allows the pieces to melt into the pancakes as they cook and ensures you don’t have any white chunks.
What Is the Secret to Fluffy Pancakes?
There are several factors that will give you light and fluffy pancakes, and they’re all equally important!
- Don’t overmix your batter. You want to blend the ingredients until they are just combined and smooth.
- You want a thick batter. If it is too runny, add more oats, and blend again until it is thick.
- Don’t forget to let the batter sit! This allows it to thicken even further and helps the grains absorb some of the liquid. This is especially true with gluten-containing pancakes!
Can I Make Protein Pancakes Ahead of Time?
Yes! We love making a big batch to have on hand throughout the week. Let them cool, and store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze, let your pancakes cool completely. Then, wrap each pancake in plastic wrap, and store them in a sealable bag or airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
How to Reheat
When you’re ready to eat, let your cottage cheese pancakes thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm them in a skillet over medium heat, pop them in the toaster, or pop them in the
Can I Use this Protein Pancakes Recipe Batter to Make Waffles Instead?
We haven’t tried it ourselves, but it should work! Just be sure to adjust the temperature and cooking time.
More Quick & Easy Pancake Recipes
Can’t get enough pancakes in your life? We understand! Take a look at a few more of our favorite options. No matter what you choose, you can’t go wrong!
- A fun take on our favorite dessert, this Baklava skillet pancake takes storebought pancake mix to the next level with a walnut-pistachio mixture and a healthy drizzle of honey.
- Delicious and good for you, pumpkin protein pancakes are made with just 5 ingredients!
- More dessert than breakfast, this Oreo dutch baby pancake is stuffed with Oreo cookies and an irresistible cream filling you’ll love.
Cottage Cheese Protein Pancakes Recipe
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly.
- In a pan over medium heat, add half cup batter. Cook each side for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add toppings of choice, and enjoy!