Got a hankering for pizza but feeling a little too lazy to order or whip up a masterpiece from scratch? We get it, and guess what? We’ve got your back. Meet Pizza in a Mug! Sounds a bit weird, doesn’t it? But trust us, it’s the bomb! Plus, it’s basically a miracle – toss in a few basic ingredients, zap it for less than 2 minutes, and voila! Customize it with all your fave toppings, and boom, your cravings are conquered, guilt-free.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Pizza in a Mug
We know the skeptics out there are wondering if this recipe will actually deliver the same satisfaction as a warm and cheesy pizza — rest assured, this recipe is totally worth your time. It’s easy, quick, and absolutely amazing! If you still aren’t convinced, here are a few more reasons to love this 2-minute pizza recipe:
- It uses simple, staple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- You can skip the dishes because this recipe only dirties one mug.
- From start to finish, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in about 5 minutes.
- You can personalize it to fit your flavor preferences.
Ingredients You’ll Need
As mentioned, this Pizza in a Mug uses just a handful of ingredients. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- All-Purpose Flour – Just like a traditional pizza recipe, this forms the base of the dough.
- Whole Milk – We recommend whole milk for a richer flavor, but you’re welcome to swap it for any milk you have on hand.
- Olive Oil – Go for extra virgin olive oil to enhance the flavor of the pizza and add a boost of healthy fats.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder – These will help your pizza in a mug rise and become fluffy like traditional pizza dough. For the best results, make sure they’re fresh!
- Seasonings – Enhance the savory flavor with Italian seasonings along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinara Sauce – Store-bought marinara will do just fine, but if you’re feeling adventurous, you can opt to make it from scratch with a homemade marinara sauce.
- Pepperoni Slices – Cut these into small triangles to best fit the mug and get little pieces of pepperoni in every bite.
- Cheese – It wouldn’t be a pizza recipe without cheese! We use not one but two varieties with Mozzarella and Parmesan for a rich, savory flavor and extra delicious gooeyness.
How to Make Pizza in a Mug (In Less than 2 Minutes!)
We have to admit, we were a little doubtful that making pizza in a mug was going to work. However, one bite, and we were hooked. In fact, it’s so easy, that we never go back to store-bought or frozen pizzas again! Here’s what to do:
- Combine the Dry Ingredients. In a large mug, add the dry ingredients, and give them a good stir.
- Add the Wet Ingredients. Add the milk and olive oil, and stir to combine. Gently pat down to smooth out the top.
- Top. Spread the marinara sauce over the dough, sprinkle the cheeses over it followed by the pepperoni, and don’t forget a sprinkle of Italian herbs!
- Microwave. Place the mug in the microwave, and cook until the dough is fluffy and the cheese has melted.
- Dig In. Let your pizza cool slightly. Otherwise, you’ll burn your mouth! Been there. Done that. Then, it’s ready to dig in.
So, we threw together the goods for a classic pepperoni pizza. But hold onto your taste buds, because this basic recipe is a chameleon – it can handle more variations than your wildest pizza dreams. Seriously, you could whip it up every single night and never have a repeat performance! Need some inspo? Here are a few of our absolute faves:
- Swapping the Protein. Diced ham, sausage, bacon, chicken, etc. are all winners in this pizza in a mug. Just be sure that whatever you use is already cooked, because the microwave will not fully cook raw meat.
- Adding Veggies. Peppers, onion, spinach, and mushrooms – just to name a few. Cooking in the microwave will not have the same effect as baking in the oven. So, keep in mind that different veggies may fare better than others in the microwave, and feel free to add veggies that have already been cooked. It’s the perfect way to use up leftovers!
- Trying a Different Sauce. Who said pizza can only be made with marinara? Get a little adventurous, and swap it out for alfredo, pesto, buffalo sauce, or even hummus!
- Mimicking Your Favorite Restaurant Pizza. Ham and pineapple, Supreme, Greek, you name it. Any variation you find on a takeout menu can be replicated with this single-serving recipe!
Common Questions About Pizza in a Mug
This recipe is best enjoyed right away while it’s still warm. We don’t recommend making it in advance — it is likely to become a bit rubbery after it sits. Luckily, it’s so quick to prepare there’s never a need to make it ahead of time!
Yes! Use your favorite all-purpose gluten-free flour. Please note that if your gluten-free flour does not contain xantham gum, you may find that your pizza in a mug does not rise as well. For the best taste and texture, we recommend using a 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour like Bob’s Red Mill. As with all gluten-free cooking, be sure to check your labels to make sure all the other ingredients are gluten-free as well (some marinaras are not).
Absolutely! Simply swap out the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses with your favorite dairy-free alternative, and you’ll have an easy dairy-free pizza ready to devour!
This recipe was created as a single-serving meal. While we won’t say it’s impossible to make multiple servings in one dish, the bigger the dish, the harder time the microwave will have cooking the dough completely through. For multiple servings, we recommend using multiple single-serving mugs instead.
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
Looking for even more ways to enjoy pizza flavors? Check out the drool-worthy recipes below:
Pizza in a Mug
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 6 Tablespoons whole milk or milk of choice
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons marinara sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 Tablespoons pepperoni slices cut into small triangles
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Grease a large 12-16 ounce mug with cooking spray.
- Add the flour, Italian seasoning, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the milk and olive oil, whisking until smooth.
- Gently pat the dough down, leveling out the top.
- Spread the marinara sauce on top followed by the Mozzarella, Parmesan, pepperoni, and extra Italian herbs.
- Microwave 1-1.5 minutes on high until the dough is fluffy and the cheese is melted. Start with 1 minute, and adjust as needed. Be careful not to overcook!
- Cool slightly before serving, and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.