If you are looking for something that is both indulgent and nutritious then this recipe is made for you! This paleo chocolate chip cookie skillet is a fabulous dessert you are going to want to save to your Pinterest recipe board.
Is this chocolate chip cookie skillet recipe healthy?
This chocolate chip cookie skillet is gluten-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar-free and – you guessed it – healthy for you! It is packed with ingredients that taste delicious, but sneak in nutrients.
- Almond flour is a nutrient rich flour. That’s because it is made by blanching almonds, drying them and grinding them up into flour. Almond flour contains healthy fats, protein and fiber. Compared to white flour, which is nutritionally deficient, it carries significantly less carbs per gram.
- Note: if you or someone in your household has a nut allergy, you can substitute almond flour for oats. Simply grind whole oats in a blender or food processor until it is a fine flour-like consistency.
- Coconut oil is one of the healthiest fats you can bake with! Compared to butter, coconut oil has a similar amount of saturated fat. However, coconut oil is much less likely to cause inflammation because dairy based fats, like butter, can be more challenging for the body to process.
- Maple syrup is a healthy alternative to sugar when it comes to sweetening desserts. Unlike sugar, maple syrup contains plenty of antioxidants and nutrients. It carries manganese, zinc, and even a little bit of calcium.
- Note: this only applies to naturally sourced maple syrup. Pancake syrup, such as Aunt Jemima’s, contains chemicals and refined sugar that can arguably be worse for you than simply using white sugar.
- Eggs are a great source of healthy fat and protein. Eggs also contain folate, and vitamins A, B, D, and E.
What makes this recipe paleo?
The paleo diet has risen in popularity over the years! It basically includes all foods that were found during the Paleolithic era, but none that were developed after. Because of that, this diet excludes dairy, legumes, grains, refined sugar and processed foods.
Our chocolate chip cookie skillet is grain-free, refined-sugar-free, and dairy-free, and naturally does not include legumes. As a result, this mouthwatering recipe is paleo friendly!
The potential benefits associated with practicing a paleo diet are great. Eating a paleo diet is said to help lower blood pressure, control appetite and even help your body process glucose, for instance.
How to make paleo chocolate chip cookie skillet
- In a medium bowl, combine your dry ingredients. This includes almond flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk it together to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix your wet ingredients. Start by adding the egg, followed by maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix together.
- Next, grease a large oven-safe skillet.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and top with chocolate chips.
- Bake until golden brown on top. Be careful not to over-bake the skillet in the oven. It will continue to cook through once you remove it from the oven, due to the heat from the skillet.
- Scoop it onto a plate, or grab a spoon and dig right in!
Other skillet recipes you are going to love
If you’re a fan of this skillet recipe, then we have some good news for you! Skillet baking is one of our favorite ways to bake and we’ve got a handful of recipes that are going to be right up your alley.
- Our baklava skillet pancake is a crossover recipe that your whole family is going to absolutely love. We have combined our household favorite dessert – baklava – with a breakfast staple – pancakes!
- This indulgent recipe isn’t quite as healthy, but if you want a comforting dessert then look no further than our stuffed pecan turtle skillet. It is packed with chocolate, caramel and even has pretzels to add some crunch!
- If you love the sound of this recipe, but are craving something a bit less healthy, then our mocha stuffed cookie skillet is for you. It has browned butter, espresso, nutella and toffee. Need we say more??
- Our Mocha Stuffed Cookie Skillet recipe is to-die-for. It includes chocolate chip cookie dough and coffee! It bakes to delicious perfection – it is bound to impress whoever you’re baking for!
- Skillet recipes are not just for sweet treats! One of our easiest dinner recipes is our skillet lasagna rolls. You can prep this ahead of time and bake it right before dinner. Honestly, our favorite part about skillet recipes is just how easy it is to make them!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (feel free to use dairy-free or your favorite chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch round skillet
- In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix your wet ingredients. Add maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and egg. Beat until combined.
- Mix dry into the wet ingredients.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes or golden on top. Do not overbake or cookie will be dry!