Made with minimal ingredients tomato spinach one pot pasta is a family-friendly recipe ready in minutes. Just toss everything together for a quick dinner everyone will love!
What You’ll Need for Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- Pasta – We recommend using penne-shaped pasta because it is sturdy and absorbs liquid well. However, you could substitute it for another thick pasta such as rigatoni or ziti.
- Marinara Sauce – A high-quality marinara sauce adds tons of fresh flavor and locks in the moisture of this dish for tender pasta.
- Herbs & Spices – For simple, fresh flavor, we included salt, pepper, and fresh basil. We don’t recommend swapping it out for dried basil, because the flavor won’t be nearly as strong.
- Tomatoes – Grape or cherry tomatoes work best and add color, antioxidants, and vitamins.
- Onion – For a sweeter flavor, we prefer to use yellow onions, but white onions can be included, too.
- Garlic – Using fresh garlic cloves is crucial to creating bold flavor.
- Broth – Chicken or vegetable stock works well and adds tons of flavor. Just don’t swap it out for water, or your tomato basil pasta will be bland!
- Spinach – Fresh baby spinach wilts and becomes tender adding bright color and tons of nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin K, plant-based iron, and more!
Feel free to add in or substitute ingredients to make this one pot pasta dish truly your own. To get started, take a look at a few of our favorite variations below.
Include protein like sliced sausage, chicken, ground beef, or shrimp.
Boost the nutrients with sauteed veggies like mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers.
Get a little cheesy, and include Parmesan or Asiago cheese!
Make it spicy with a dash of chili flakes.
How to Make One Pot Pasta
- Add the dried penne noodles to a large pot or dutch oven followed by the remaining ingredients (except for the spinach).
- Pour in the broth.
- Bring the liquids to a boil.
- Cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes. You want the pasta to be al dente!
- Add in the fresh spinach, and give it a stir.
- Serve immediately, and feel free to top the dish with grated cheese if you’d like.
Can I Freeze Tomato and Spinach Pasta?
This recipe does not freeze well, because the ingredients become soggy when reheated. However, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days!
If the pasta becomes a bit dry, add a splash of broth before reheating, and stir the ingredients to combine.
This dish is filling on its own, but it also pairs well with all of your favorite sides!
- Light and refreshing, this viral green goddess salad is full of nourishing ingredients you’ll love.
- A fun twist on a traditional recipe, this cobb salad is made with green goddess dressing for an irresistible boost of flavor!
- Cheesy and delicious, no knead focaccia bread is made with a secret ingredient for a quick side that’s guaranteed to please.
- Simple and straightforward, air fryer sesame crusted feta comes together with 3 ingredients for a unique appetizer or side that’s so fun to make!
More One Pot Pasta Recipes
- Decadent and rich, one pot chicken tetrazzini is a family favorite you’ll make over and over again.
- Light and refreshing, one pot lemon garlic parmesan pasta is simple to make, sneaks in some greens, and has flavor to die for!
- Delicious, filling, and quick to clean up, one pot chicken broccoli rotini is one meal everyone will love!
- Easy to put together and packed with flavor, one pot spicy rigatoni will become your favorite weeknight dish.
- If you want something similar, one pot sun dried tomato pasta is a great option!
Tomato Basil One Pot Pasta
- 1 pound dry penne noodles
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 cups broth
- 3 cups spinach
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven on the stove.
- Add the penne, tomatoes, onion, seasonings, garlic, and marinara on medium high heat.
- Pour the broth on top.
- Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and reduce the heat and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Serve immediately.