Halloween snack mix is the best option to have on hand for Halloween parties, after-school snacks, and more! The perfect combination of sweet and salty, it’s irresistibly delicious and so easy to make!
Why This Halloween Snack Mix Works
A combination of classic Chex Mix and sweet Muddy Buddy recipes, this Halloween snack mix is sweet, salty, and totally addicting. Honestly, it’s one of our favorite snacks. In fact, it’s so good, we’ve been known to whip it up all year long! Here are just a few reasons why we love it so much:
- You can easily mix and match ingredients to satisfy all your cravings.
- It’s budget-friendly and great for feeding a crowd.
- With simple ingredients, it’s a breeze to make.
- The kids love to get involved by adding their favorite candies and giving the mixture a good stir!
- The bright colors add a festive flair when stored in a glass container or served in a bowl.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Unlike store-bought Halloween trail mix options that include just a few ingredients and are often overly sweet, this snack mix is packed full of all the good stuff. As a result, it’s sweet, salty, crunchy, and everything you could ever need in a snack recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pretzels – To provide large, grabbable pieces and a salty taste.
- Cereal – We included a combination of pumpkin spice Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and Rice Chex cereal for the ultimate crunch and warm flavor!
- Nuts – We prefer to use whole almonds, but any nuts or a variety of mixed nuts would taste great, too.
- Butter – This forms the base of the caramel sauce.
- Brown sugar – For a sweet caramel. Regular granulated sugar will not work, because it has less moisture than brown sugar!
- Honey – To sweeten the caramel and help hold all of the ingredients together.
- Candy – We include Halloween-colored M&Ms and candy corn, but feel free to include whatever candy you like best!
This Halloween trail mix is a super fun recipe because it’s so versatile! Feel free to experiment with different add-ins and flavor variations to make it your own. Some of our favorite options include:
- Popped popcorn or caramel corn
- Reese’s pieces candies
- Pumpkin candy corn shapes
- Salted peanuts
- Chocolate chips
- A drizzle of chocolate
How to Make The Best Halloween Snack Mix Recipe
One thing that makes this Halloween snack mix recipe better than other versions is that instead of just tossing a bunch of ingredients together, we coat them in a sweet caramel sauce and bake them in the oven to create a deeper, roasted flavor you’ll love! All you’ll need is a large bowl, a saucepan, a spatula, and a baking sheet.
- Create the caramel sauce: Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once warm, add the butter, and let it melt. Then, stir in the brown sugar and honey. Reduce the heat slightly, and let the ingredients simmer, stirring occasionally until they resemble a rich caramel sauce.
- Combine: Stir the different cereals, pretzels, and nuts together in a large bowl. Pour the caramel sauce on top, and stir until all of the ingredients are well-coated.
- Bake: Spread the mixture on a foil-lined baking sheet, and bake for 50 minutes, making sure to stir halfway through baking.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and let the mixture cool completely. Then, add it to a large bowl along with the remaining ingredients. Stir, and serve your Halloween snack mix immediately, or store it for later!
How to Store
This Halloween snack mix is pretty much guaranteed to disappear right before your eyes. However, it can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple of weeks.
More Festive Snacks & Sweet Treats
Looking for more fun recipes to make this Halloween? Try some of these tasty treats!
- Halloween Crack Candy – A sweet, salty, and seriously crave-worthy cracker candy that’s super easy to make.
- Indoor Smore’s Dessert Board – Filled with ghost-shaped marshmallows and festive candies, this dessert board is a fun interactive snack.
- Slow Cooker Puppy Chow – Simple to make and so rich in flavor, this puppy chow recipe is the best recipe for every occasion!
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Covered Pretzels – An irresistible combination of flavors, this recipe is guaranteed to become your new favorite treat!
The Best Halloween Snack Mix
- 4 cups pretzels
- 2 cups pumpkin spice Cheerios
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups raw almonds or nuts of choice
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1 cup candy corn
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and set aside.
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat add the butter, brown sugar, and honey, and stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes or until it resembles a caramel sauce.
- In a large bowl, add the cereals, pretzels, and nuts, tossing to combine. Arrange the mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet. Pour the caramel sauce on top, mixing until all of the ingredients are well coated.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and let the mixture cool completely.
- Transfer the ingredients to a large bowl along with the remaining candy, and stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.