Roz Bil Laban, also known as Rice Pudding, is our twist on a classic Egyptian recipe that uses rice, milk, cream, and spices to create a warm, sweet treat that’s easy to make and ultra satisfying! The addition of coconut cream elevates the rice pudding to a higher level.
What Is Roz Bil Laban?
If you’ve ever been to Egypt, chances are you’ve tried or at least seen roz bil laban. Simple and delicious, it’s a sweet recipe that can be found in pretty much any restaurant or dessert shop. Consisting of rice, milk, coconut cream, sugar, and cornstarch, it’s an Egyptian version of coconut rice pudding. Rich in flavor and super creamy, it’s unbelievably delicious and super easy to make at home. Plus, it makes a large batch, meaning it’s great for feeding a crowd!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The ingredients for this coconut rice pudding are super simple and budget-friendly, making it one of our go-to comfort food desserts! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Milk – Whole milk is used to cook the rice, making it extra fluffy and creamy.
- Rice – Uncooked short-grain rice works best.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar sweetens the mixture, transforming a traditionally savory food into a dessert.
- Cornstarch – Used to thicken the mixture, making it pudding-like in consistency.
- Canned Coconut Cream – This creates an extra creamy texture and adds just a hint of coconut flavor. If needed, heavy cream can be substituted for similar results.
- Vanilla Extract – Use pure vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Salt – Just a pinch helps enhance the sweet flavor.
- Cinnamon – Technically optional but highly recommended a dash of cinnamon helps enhance the pudding for a sweet and slightly spicy taste that will leave you coming back for more.
How to Make Coconut Rice Pudding
If you can make rice, you can make this coconut rice pudding recipe! Here’s what to do:
- Cook the Rice. Bring the milk to a simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the rinsed rice, and mix to combine. Then, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to cook until the rice is tender, stirring every 6-8 minutes.
- Sweeten. Stir in the sugar, making sure it dissolves completely.
- Combine. In a measuring cup, combine the milk and cornstarch until there are no lumps. Then pour it into the rice pudding, and cook until the mixture thickens. Next, stir in the remaining ingredients until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Serve. Place the coconut rice pudding into a 2-quart serving dish or individual cups, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Shop our favorite pot!
Feel free to get creative and mix and match your favorite toppings for even more texture and flavor! For example, some of our favorite options include:
- Crushed Pistachios
- Toasted Coconut Flakes
How to Store
This coconut rice pudding is best served right away. However, if you have leftovers or want to prepare in advance, follow the tips below to keep it fresh.
- Refrigerator: Let your coconut pudding cool completely. Then, transfer it to a sealable container, and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Freezer: If you can avoid it, we don’t recommend freezing this recipe as the texture is likely to change once it thaws. However, it can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, let your coconut rice pudding thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in the microwave or in a pot over medium heat on the stove.
Coconut Rice Pudding Common Questions
Yes, it will have a slightly different flavor, but you can swap out the milk with non-dairy or coconut milk instead.
Not quite. Although similar, rice pudding is made with a base of rice whereas tapioca is made with a base of cassava root. As a result, rice pudding has a smoother, creamier texture.
Either! This coconut rice pudding tastes great either way but is extra comforting when served warm.
More Easy Rice Recipes
Looking for more unique ways to use rice? Try out more of our favorite recipes below!
Coconut Rice Pudding (Roz Bil Laban)
- 8 1/4 cups whole milk (divided)
- 1 cup short grain rice (rinsed until water runs clear)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream (if using full-fat canned coconut milk, make sure to use the cream that’s at the top of the can OR SUB with 1/2 cup heavy cream)
- 2 teaspoons high-quality vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional: crushed pistachios (toasted coconut flakes, raisins, walnuts, and almond for topping)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add 8 cups milk, and bring it to a gentle simmer. Add the rinsed rice, stirring to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to cook 35-40 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring every 6-8 minutes.
- Add the sugar, stirring until it is completely dissolved.
- In a measuring cup, add the remaining ¼ cup milk and cornstarch, whisking to combine. Pour the mixture into the rice pudding, and continue to cook until the liquid thickens.
- Add the coconut cream, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon, if using. Stir until the ingredients are well combined and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a large 2-quart serving dish or individual cups. Let cool. Add the toppings of choice just before serving, and enjoy warm or cold.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.