Treat your tastebuds to rich, chocolate decadence with this Easy Double Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe! The perfect treat for even the strongest sweet tooth, it’s moist, fudgy, and ready in less than 2 minutes. Serve it as is or topped off with a cold scoop of ice cream for a drool-worthy single-serving dessert that’s so good you won’t want to share!
Table of Contents
- What is a Chocolate Mug Cake?
- Why This Double Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe is the BEST
- Ingredients You Need
- How to Make an Easy Chocolate Mug Cake
- Tips for Success
- Flavor Variations
- Topping Ideas
- Common Questions About Chocolate Mug Cake
- More Incredible Mug Cake Recipes
- Double Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe Recipe
What is a Chocolate Mug Cake?
Over the last years, maybe even the last decade, mug cakes have become incredibly popular. For good reason, too! If you’ve never had one – first, you’re missing out. Second, they’re exactly what they sound like! They’re a type of single-serving dessert made by adding chocolate cake batter to a mug and cooking it in a microwave.
Quick, simple, affordable, and delicious, it’s pretty obvious why these treats become so common. Honestly, this chocolate cake in a mug is one of our favorite ways to treat ourselves! One bite and you’ll understand, too.
Why This Double Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe is the BEST
There are tons of recipes for chocolate cake in a mug out there. However, this chocolate cake in a mug is by far our favorite! It’s:
- Made with less than 10 ingredients.
- Cooked in less than 2 minutes.
- Super quick to prepare and even easier to clean up.
- Given a boost of extra rich chocolate flavor with a cocoa base and the addition of sweet white chocolate chips.
Ingredients You Need
Chocolate mug cake comes together with pretty basic baking ingredients. However, given that it’s a single-serving dessert, it’s super budget-friendly! Here’s everything you need:
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour forms the base of the cake batter. If needed, you could also swap it out for a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour alternative.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar sweetens the batter, eliminating some of the bitterness of the cocoa.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Feel free to use either unsweetened cocoa powder or dutch processed cocoa powder. Both taste great with this chocolate mug cake recipe!
- Baking Powder – This is what makes your cake fluffy. Make sure it’s fresh!
- Salt – Just a pinch helps enhance the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Butter – Unsalted butter creates a rich flavor and helps the cake rise as it bakes, making it extra fluffy and moist. Yum!
- Egg – This adds structure to the cake batter, helping it hold its shape after it bakes.
- Milk – Used to combine the ingredients into a smooth batter. For the best flavor, we love to use whole milk. However, any percentage you have on hand will work just fine.
- White Chocolate Chips – This is our secret to making the absolute best chocolate mug cake you’ll ever taste! The sweetness of the white chocolate provides gooey pockets of deliciousness in every bite.
How to Make an Easy Chocolate Mug Cake
Did you ever have an Easy Bake Oven growing up? We used to love them, which explains why we’re obsessed with this chocolate cake in a mug! Similar to the “recipes” we made as kids, it comes together with ease and bakes in the microwave. Here’s what to do:
- Combine the Ingredients. Using a microwave-safe mug or ramekin, add all the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Next, add the wet ingredients, and whisk just until the batter is smooth.
- Top. Sprinkle the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Cook. Microwave your chocolate mug cake on high for 1 minute or as needed until the batter is set. Then, grab a fork or spoon, and dig in while it’s warm!
Tips for Success
- Use a Large Mug. Your cake will expand as it bakes in the microwave. So, make sure there is extra space at the top after the batter is poured in. We like to use a 12-ounce mug, but any large mug will work.
- Measure Carefully. When it comes to baking, proper measurements are crucial to your success. Especially with single-serving recipes! So, to ensure your chocolate mug cake comes out perfectly, use either a food scale or the spoon and level method to portion your dry ingredients.
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients. Before you begin, let your ingredients sit out and come to room temperature. This makes them easier to combine!
- Don’t Overmix. Just like regular cake, you want to be sure not to overmix your batter. Otherwise, your chocolate mug cake will turn out rubbery and tough. To prevent this, carefully stir the ingredients just until they are combined and no clumps remain.
- Be Careful not to Overcook. Every microwave cooks differently. So, keep a close eye on your chocolate cake in a mug! You’ll know it’s done when it is fluffy and a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs.
Looking to switch it up? Mix and match different ingredients and mix-ins to make this chocolate mug cake recipe your own! For example, some of our favorite variations include:
- Swapping out the chocolate chips with a piece of chocolate or a chocolate truffle in the center.
- Adding in sprinkles, chopped nuts, or coconut flakes.
- Stirring in a swirl of Nutella, cream cheese, or dulce de leche.
You can never go wrong with toppings! Make your chocolate mug cake extra fancy with options like:
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh Strawberries
- Chocolate Sauce or Nutella
- Peanut Butter
- Dulce de Leche
- Vanilla Ice Cream
Common Questions About Chocolate Mug Cake
If your recipe turns out a bit too tough or rubbery, it’s likely because it was either overbaked or too much baking powder was added to the batter.
Yes, your mug cake will be slightly gooey because of the melted white chocolate chips. If you prefer the batter to be a bit more firm, place it back in the microwave for a few seconds. Just be careful not to overcook!
Yes! If you prefer to use a microwave or want to make multiple chocolate mug cakes at once, heat the oven to 350° F, and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the center of the batter is set.
More Incredible Mug Cake Recipes
If you’re not already obsessed with mug cake recipes, you will be! Luckily, we’ve got lots of options to satisfy all your cravings.
- Monster Cookie Mug Cake
- Cookies and Cream Mug Cake
- Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake
- Ferrero Rocher Stuffed Mug Cake
Double Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ounce white chocolate chips more or less to taste
- In a microwave safe mug add all your dry ingredients. Mix until combined.1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, Pinch of salt
- Add all your wet ingredients. Stir well until it comes together.3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 large egg, 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- Top with chocolate chips! If you're feeling like you want more indulgence, add and press a large chocolate square in the center!1 ounce white chocolate chips
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Depending on your microwave you may need to do 1.5 minutes! Don't overcook or it will get really dry!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.