Part cookie, part cake, completely delicious, this Monster Cookie Mug Cake features simple ingredients and bold flavor. Made in a single mug and ready in less than two minutes, it’s the perfect dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth!
What Is a Monster Cookie Mug Cake?
A monster cookie mug cake is exactly what it sounds like! Featuring all of the classic ingredients found in a traditional monster cookie, it cooks in one mug like a mug cake. That means the ingredient list is short and sweet, and it’s a breeze to whip up! All you have to do is mix the ingredients, pop it in the microwave, and it’s ready to eat. Deserts don’t get any better than that!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are so many reasons to love this monster cookie mug cake, we lost count. So, we’ll just name a few!
- It cooks in less than 2 minutes.
- You can mix and match your favorite ingredients to make it your own.
- With simple swaps, you can customize it to fit your dietary needs.
- Recipes don’t get easier to make or clean up!
Ingredients You’ll Need
If you’ve ever had a monster cookie, you already know what to expect from this monster cookie mug cake recipe. We just added an extra ingredient or two to transform it into a cake. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Flour – We use simple all-purpose flour for the base of this recipe. However, if needed, you can swap it out for a 1:1 gluten-free alternative.
- Rolled Oats – This adds extra texture for a classic monster cookie taste.
- Sugar – Just a pinch of granulated sugar helps sweeten the batter.
- Baking Powder – Make sure it’s fresh for an extra fluffy cookie mug cake!
- Salt – This helps enhance the rest of the ingredients.
- Egg – Used to provide structure to the recipe, holding it together as it bakes. We haven’t tested this cookie mug cake with a flax or chia egg, but please let us know how it goes if you do!
- Peanut Butter – If needed, you can easily use a different nut or seed butter like almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower butter instead.
- Butter – We highly recommend using unsalted butter so as not to overpower the rest of the ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract enhances the natural sweetness of the dessert.
- M&Ms – We love to use mini M&Ms to get tons of chocolate flavor in every bite. However, feel free to use whatever size and flavor you like best!
- Chocolate Chips – For extra chocolatey goodness. We prefer to use semi-sweet or dark chocolate, but white chocolate would taste great, too.
How to Make a Monster Cookie Mug Cake
If you’ve never had a monster cookie mug cake, prepare to be amazed! Once you see how easy it is to make, you’ll never want to create another dessert. Here’s what to do:
- Mix the Dry Ingredients. Whisk the flour, oats, sugar, and baking powder together in a large mug.
- Add the Wet Ingredients. Add the egg, butter, vanilla, and peanut butter, and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Fold. Gently stir in the M&Ms and chocolate chips, folding gently until they are well distributed throughout the batter.
- Cook. Microwave on high. If needed, cook again until the monster cookie monster cake is solidified and fluffy. Be careful not to overcook!
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
This monster cookie mug cake is best eaten fresh while it’s still warm. However, if needed, you can cover it and store it in the fridge for 1 day. Then, when you’re ready to eat, pop it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds to warm it back up. Just be careful not to overcook! Otherwise, it will become dry and rubbery.
Of course, you can serve this monster cookie mug cake just as it is, and it is unbelievably delicious. However, we can never say no to an extra topping or two! Some of our favorites include:
- Whipped Cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Drizzle
- Chocolate Syrup
- Extra Chocolate Chips and M&Ms
More Mug Cake Recipes
One bite of this monster cookie mug cake, and you’ll be hooked on mug cake recipes! Don’t worry, though. We have plenty of options to choose from. Check out some of our favorites below.
Monster Cookie Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt (Omit if using unsalted peanut butter)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (slightly melted)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons mini M&Ms + more or less to taste
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips + more or less to taste
- In a large 12-16 ounce mug, add the flour, oats, sugar, and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Add the egg, butter, vanilla, and peanut butter. Mix again until smooth.
- Fold in the M&Ms and chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. If needed, microwave for an additional 30 seconds until the batter is solidified and fluffy. Be careful not to overcook!