Made with just a few simple ingredients, these easy cinnamon rolls transform store-bought dough into a gourmet treat! Ready in just 30 minutes, they’re soft, fluffy, and topped with a sweet caramel glaze.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love These Easy Cinnamon Rolls
There’s nothing like the aroma of freshly baked cinnamon rolls filling your home in the morning. However, we don’t always have time to measure endless ingredients and roll out the dough. So, we created a shortcut and transformed store-bought dough into something truly gourmet. Don’t worry, when we’re finished no one will know they aren’t homemade! These caramel chocolate chip cinnamon rolls are:
- Soft, tender, and dripping with gooey caramel
- Made with 6 simple ingredients
- Baked in 30 minutes
- Perfect for make-ahead breakfast options, bake sales, and more!
What’s the Difference Between Cinnamon Rolls and Cinnamon Buns?
Often used interchangeably, the two are not quite the same. Both breakfast options are created with a yeast dough that is covered with a cinnamon sugar mixture and sliced into rolls. However, the most recognizable difference is in their appearance.
For instance, cinnamon buns were originally brought to America by German immigrants. Unlike cinnamon rolls which are marked by their extra fluffy appearance and topped with a sweet glaze, cinnamon buns are full of nuts and have a shinier exterior that more closely resembles what we think of as bread rolls.
Basic Ingredients You’ll Need
The shortest ingredient list you’ll ever find, this recipe comes together with just 6 ingredients, 5 of which you probably keep on hand!
- Cinnamon Rolls – You’ll want to pick up a package of your favorite unbaked cinnamon roll dough. We found that Grands canned cinnamon rolls work best for the fluffiest texture, but feel free to use whatever you like best.
- Unsalted Butter – This is used to form the base of the caramel sauce and keeps it extra softy and melty.
- Light Brown Sugar – If dark brown sugar is all you have, it can be used instead. However, it will create a more intense caramel flavor and may have a different texture.
- Heavy Cream – Adding a decadent flavor, heavy cream also helps create a smooth texture perfect for drizzling over your caramel cinnamon rolls.
- Salt – A tiny pinch of salt goes a long way to enhance the rest of the ingredients for a salted caramel taste.
- Chocolate Chips – Everything is better with chocolate, right? We used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate are great, too!
How to Make the Best Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
Prepare to be amazed! Once you see how easy these are to make, you’ll never go back to whisking ingredients and rolling your own dough again. Take a look at an overview of the instructions below. Then, scroll to the bottom for all the details!
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Combine the ingredients for the caramel sauce, and bring them to a boil.
- Pour half of the caramel sauce into a baking dish, and layer the cinnamon rolls on top.
- Top with more caramel and chocolate chips.
- Bake until golden brown and fragrant.
- Drizzle with the remaining caramel.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
This recipe is incredible as it is. However, if you want to experiment with a few add-ins and flavor alternatives, the options are endless. Some of our favorite ways to spruce up this recipe include:
- Peanut Butter. For an even more decadent dessert, mix a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter into the caramel sauce!
- Chopped Nuts. For a bit of extra crunch, sprinkle your favorite chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans on top.
- Nutella. Add Nutella to the caramel sauce, or drizzle it on top!
- Apples. For a fall-inspired dessert, scatter chopped apples on top of your cinnamon rolls before baking.
- Monkey Bread. For a fun shareable option, slice the cinnamon rolls into quarters before adding them to the dish for a monkey-bread-like option.
Once baked, this recipe disappears almost instantly. However, leftovers can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Or, freeze them cooked or uncooked for up to 6 months. Just leave off any toppings. When you’re ready to eat, thaw them in the fridge or on the counter, and cook as usual. Or, warm them in the oven!
More Easy Cinnamon Roll Recipes
We’ve got cinnamon roll variations for every day of the week! Don’t forget to try some of these great recipes as well:
- Three desserts rolled into one, this S’mores Cinnamon Roll Money Bread is always a showstopper!
- Another easy cinnamon rolls recipe, these Dulce de Leche Cinnamon Rolls are loaded with sweet caramel flavors in every bite.
- Delightfully crispy on the outside yet creamy and custardy on the inside, these Cinnamon Roll French Toast Roll-Ups are a breakfast that’s impossible to beat.
- The best way to start your day, these Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Rolls are made with 5 ingredients and taste just like your favorite coffee!
Easy Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel and Chocolate Chips
- 2 packages Grands canned cinnamon rolls
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter, sugar, cream and salt over medium heat, stirring constantly until combined. Once the mixture has come to a boil, let simmer for a minute. Set aside to slightly cool.
- In a round 12-inch baking dish, add half of the caramel sauce. Arrange cinnamon rolls over the caramel, making sure to leave space in between each roll. Pour remaining caramel sauce on top, reserving 1/4 cup.
- Top with chocolate chips. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven, and immediately pour the reserved caramel on top. Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.