This homemade Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese recipe is an elevated version of your childhood favorite. Better than anything you’ll find in a box, this version is given a boost of flavor with warm spices and lots of cheese for an ooey gooey side dish or main course the whole family will adore!
Table of Contents
- Why Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese Is a Must-Try Delight!
- Secret Ingredients to Elevate Your Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- How to Craft the Perfect Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Optional Variations
- How to Store and Reheat
- Common Questions About This Easy Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese Recipe
- More Magnificent Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese Recipe
Why Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese Is a Must-Try Delight!
Ditch the boxed mac and cheese and sneak in extra flavor and nutrients with this easy baked broccoli mac and cheese instead! An upgraded version of everyone’s favorite comfort food, it’s made with four different types of cheese and a variety of seasonings for a creamy texture and irresistible flavor that will blow your mind.
With minimal prep time required and a quick cook time, it has a total time of less than sixty minutes so you can have dinner prepared in no time. Plus, with just ONE dish is required, making clean-up a breeze!
Serve it on its own or as a side dish with your favorite main courses. Either way, you really can’t go wrong!
Secret Ingredients to Elevate Your Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese
You won’t find any powdered cheese in this recipe. Instead, we use fresh ingredients for a velvety texture and tender pasta that is absolutely to die for.
- Boursin Cheese Block – This is a type of flavored cream cheese that adds a savory, herbaceous taste.
- Pasta – Any pasta you like best can be used in this recipe!
- Garlic Cloves – For the best results, use whole fresh garlic cloves and mince them yourself.
- Cheddar Cheese – We use cubes of cheddar cheese and grated sharp cheddar for an unbeatable taste.
- Broccoli – Use fresh or frozen broccoli florets. Just make sure they’re thawed!
- Olive Oil – This helps add depth to the sauce.
- Vegetable Stock – Use low-sodium vegetable stock to cook the noodles and create a smooth sauce. Chicken stock also works!
- Seasonings – Red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt enhance the savoriness of the dish while adding just a hint of spice.
- Heavy Cream – This is our secret to creating the smoothest, creamiest cheese sauce you’ll ever taste! Plain, full-fat varieties are best.
How to Craft the Perfect Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese Recipe
The easiest mac and cheese you’ll ever make, this recipe is super hands-off with just a little stirring required.
- Arrange. Place the Boursin cheese in the center of a large baking dish. Arrange the uncooked pasta, garlic, cubed cheddar, and broccoli around the Boursin. Drizzle the olive oil on top.
- Whisk. In a separate bowl, whisk the vegetable stock and seasonings until well combined.
- Pour. Pour the stock over the ingredients in the baking dish, coating them evenly.
- Bake. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and transfer it to a preheated oven. Bake until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Melt. Add in the sharp cheddar cheese and heavy cream, stirring until the sauce is creamy. Return the dish uncovered to the oven, and continue to bake until the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve. Enjoy right away while warm!
Feel free to mix and match any add-ins and toppings you like best to elevate the flavor even further or transform this broccoli mac and cheese into a complete meal. Some of our favorite variations include:
- Breadcrumbs. Add a sprinkle of buttered breadcrumbs before transferring the dish back to the often for a golden topping and slight crunch.
- Veggies. Mix in or swap out any veggies you have on hand! Peas, cauliflower, carrots, and mushrooms all taste great.
- Protein. Transform this side dish into a complete meal by stirring in your favorite protein such as ground turkey, beef, or chicken.
How to Store and Reheat
This recipe is best enjoyed right away while it’s still warm. However, if you do have leftovers they can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to three days.
Then, reheat them in the microwave or oven. We do not recommend freezing this recipe!
Common Questions About This Easy Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese Recipe
Yes, combine the ingredients, cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil, and store it in the fridge for up to two days. Then, just follow the instructions as normal, adding baking time as needed.
This recipe can be served as a side dish with all your favorite main courses! Some great family-friendly options include crispy baked chicken nuggets, slow cooker beef brisket, and turkey bell pepper sandwiches!
We have found that gluten-free noodles tend to get a little mushy in the oven, but they can be used!
More Magnificent Mac and Cheese Recipes
Looking for more variations of homemade mac and cheese? Try out the options below!
- 15-Minute Hidden Veggie Green Mac and Cheese
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- The Best Crockpot Mac and Cheese
- Truffle Mac and Cheese
Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- 1 Boursin cheese block
- 1 pound uncooked Gemelli pasta
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- In a large baking dish, place the Boursin cheese block in the center.1 Boursin cheese block
- Add the uncooked pasta, finely chopped garlic, cubed cheddar cheese, and chopped broccoli to the baking dish with the Boursin cheese. Drizzle the olive oil on top.1 pound uncooked Gemelli pasta, 4 garlic cloves, 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese, 2 cups chopped broccoli, 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- In a separate bowl, combine the vegetable stock, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt.4 cups vegetable stock, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt
- Pour the seasoned vegetable stock mixture over the pasta, garlic, cheese, and broccoli in the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring the pasta gently after 15 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and stir in the sharp Cheddar cheese and heavy cream until the cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy.3/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Return the uncovered dish to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked to your desired level of tenderness and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your creamy broccoli and cheddar pasta bake!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.