Given a boost of nutrients with roasted tomatoes and spiced chickpeas, this creamy whipped feta dip is a creamy appetizer that’s perfect for parties! Serve it with pita, crackers, veggies, and more.
Table of Contents
- What Is Whipped Feta?
- What Is Whipped Feta Dip Made Of?
- How to Make Creamy Whipped Feta Dip
- Serving Suggestions
- How Long Does This Whipped Feta Dip Last?
- More Whipped Feta Recipes
- Creamy Whipped Feta Dip With Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas Recipe
What Is Whipped Feta?
If you’ve never had whipped feta, you might be confused by the name, and for good reason! On its own, there’s nothing “whipped” about feta. It’s not smooth, fluffy, or spreadable as that name would suggest. However, when combined in a blender with just a few simple ingredients feta undergoes an incredible transformation. In just a few minutes it turns from hard and crumbly to creamy and perfect for dipping, dunking, and spreading!
What Is Whipped Feta Dip Made Of?
For this whipped feta dip, we broke the recipe down into two sections. First, we’ll make roasted tomatoes and chickpeas for topping. Then, we’ll move on to the feta. Here’s everything you’ll need!
For the Tomatoes and Chickpeas
- Tomatoes – We recommend using cherry tomatoes because they can be cooked whole and used for bite-sized toppings. They blister beautifully in the oven and provide a hearty robust flavor that pairs perfectly with the saltiness of the feta dip.
- Chickpeas – Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas provide a slightly crunchy texture and are a great source of plant-based protein!
- Herbs and Spices – For the best flavor we use thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Not only is it a good source of healthy fats, but olive oil also helps the tomatoes and chickpeas become blistered and crispy.
For the Feta
- Feta – For easy blending, we use feta crumbles rather than a whole block of feta cheese.
- Greek Yogurt – High in protein, Greek yogurt also provides a tangy flavor we love.
- Ricotta Cheese – Although similar in taste, ricotta, and feta cheese are not quite the same. By combining them, we are able to create a sweeter whipped feta dip that’s even creamier thanks to the higher moisture content of ricotta.
- Cream Cheese – For the richest flavor, we include full-fat cream cheese, but anything works! It’ll make your feta dip super creamy and smooth.
- Garlic – Trust us, you want fresh garlic! The canned stuff just isn’t nearly as tasty.
- Honey – A dash of honey adds a hint of sweetness that levels out the savory flavors of all the spices.
- Salt and Pepper – Use as little or as much as you want!
- Za’taar – A popular spice in the Middle East, za’taar is a blend of oregano, thyme, marjoram, sumac, basil, and sesame seeds. Earthy, lemony, and just a little salty, it provides an umami flavor that takes this whipped feta dip to the next level!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Technically optional, we drizzle extra olive oil on top for an even more decadent dip.
How to Make Creamy Whipped Feta Dip
Just like the ingredient list, the instructions for this recipe are broken down into two parts. Then, once they’re ready, we combine them into one unbelievable dish!
For the Tomatoes
- Layer the tomatoes and chickpeas on a sheet pan.
- Toss with olive oil and seasonings.
- Bake at 400° Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes.
For the Whipped Feta
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Spread your whipped feta onto a serving platter, and spread the tomatoes and chickpeas on top. If you’re feeling extra fancy, add a sprinkle of za’taar and an extra drizzle of olive oil!
This whipped feta dip is so good we’ve been known to eat it with a spoon. However, if you want something a little more sophisticated take a look at some of our favorite pairings below.
- Pita Bread
- Veggie Sticks
How Long Does This Whipped Feta Dip Last?
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, we suggest letting it sit out until it comes to room temperature so it’s easier to spread.
More Whipped Feta Recipes
- Secretly made with veggies, Roasted Red Pepper Whipped Feta is the perfect appetizer.
- This Whipped Feta Recipe with Roasted Peppers is a delicious way to get your veggies in!
- Light and vibrant, this Whipped Feta Chicken Salad is an easy meal that will leave you feeling great.
- Whipped Feta Pizza comes together faster than you can order takeout and tastes so much better, too.
Creamy Whipped Feta Dip With Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 12 ounces canned chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces block cream cheese
- 1-3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Za'taar and extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a sheet pan add tomatoes, chickpeas, olive oil, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tomatoes have blistered and begin to burst. Set aside to slightly cool.
- Whipped Feta Dip In the food processor add all your ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Spread dip on a plate.
- Top with roasted tomato and chickpea mixture. Garnish with an extra drizzle of honey, za'atar, and extra virgin olive oil!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.