Add-Ins and Variations
We love the simplicity of this dish for a filling vegetarian meal, but feel free to experiment with different ingredients and add-ins to make it your own. To get started, check out some of our favorite variations below!
Pretty much any veggies you have on hand work great in this veggie pasta recipe. For instance, you could also include mushrooms, carrots, or sweet potatoes.
As mentioned, ziti is our favorite pasta. However, any shape works great. Experiment with different noodles like spaghetti or cavatappi. For a lighter option, you could even swap them out for zucchini noodles instead! Also, if needed, gluten-free noodles work great, too.
To make this veggie pasta recipe extra filling, feel free to add in your favorite protein such as chicken, shrimp, ground beef, turkey, or even tofu!
For an Instagram-worthy dinner, finish off your veggie pasta with a sprinkle of extra red pepper flakes, fresh herbs, or grated Parmesan cheese.
How to Store and Reheat
Trust us, you’re gonna want to make a double batch of this pasta with veggies to eat throughout the week. Leftovers make for the perfect packed lunch the next day!
Store leftover pasta with or without the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you keep your noodles separate, toss them with a bit of olive oil first to prevent them from sticking together. Or, keep the combined noodles and veggie sauce in the freezer for up to 3 months!
To warm leftovers, heat them in the microwave or oven. If the noodles become a bit clumpy or the sauce begins to dry, toss it with oil, water, or a bit of broth to freshen it back up!
More Family-Friendly Pasta Recipes
Looking for more quick and easy pasta recipes? Don’t miss out on these fan-favorite dishes!
- One Pot Spicy Rigatoni is guaranteed to become your new favorite weeknight dish!
- Loaded with veggies and tons of flavor, this One Pot Cajun Pasta is a light recipe that leaves you feeling great.
- Creamy and cheesy, this One Pot Broccoli Mac and Cheese has all the flavor of the classic version you know and love with a boost of nutrients thanks to the broccoli.
- This One Pot Lemon Ricotta Pasta is made with simple ingredients and is ready in less than 15 minutes!
Easy Veggie Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound cooked ziti
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 large yellow squash
- 1 small shallot
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 small red peppers
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit, and grease a baking dish. Set it aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
- Chop veggies, and place them in the prepared baking dish with garlic and seasonings. Drizzle with oil, and toss to combine.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until veggies are soft and fragrant.
- Let the vegetables cool slightly, and transfer to a high-speed blender with the reserved pasta water and basil. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta, and toss to coat.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
Oh! I too mine with shredded Parmesan cheese too!
Oh! I too mine with shredded Parmesan cheese too! Delish!
I cook this on the stovetop all in one pan! Sauté veggies, add 1 can chicken broth, mash with potato masher, leave small chunks, add uncooked pasta for about ten minutes until broth is cooked down! I also add a pinch of basil to this recipe. Delish!