If you love tres leches and bread pudding, this recipe is for you! It combines the flavors of a tres leches with a bread pudding! Great for a get together!
The one thing we love about making a bread pudding, is the ability to make it ahead, especially if you are entertaining. Hosting doesn’t have to be stressful when you are able to find make-ahead menu items
What is Tres Leches
Tres Leches is a popular authentic Mexican dessert. It is a sponge-like cake soaked with “three milks,” which consists of condensed milk, heavy cream, and evaporated milk. It is divine.
How is this recipe a Tres Leches
Of course, this is not your traditional tres leches recipe. We took the idea of a tres leches and combined it with a bread pudding. A nice brioche bread that is soaked with evaporated milk, condensed milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Bake it and top it with chocolate chips and a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk.
How to make this recipe
Custard. This custard is a simple combination of egg yolks, milk, half the condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla. Beat all these ingredients together.
Brioche. Cut up a loaf of brioche into bite size pieces, and pour the custard over.
Buttered baking dish. Pour in a buttered baking dish, approx. 12×8.
Make-ahead. This recipe is best put together 6-8 hours before serving. The longer it sits the more the brioche absorbs the custard.
Bake. Top with chocolate chips and bake at 375 degrees F. for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Topping. Once the bread pudding is done, top with the condensed milk. We add a whole can onto the topping, but feel free to keep it on the side and drizzle as little or as much as you like.
Tres Leches Bread Pudding
- 1 loaf brioche bread cut into cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condened milk divided
- 1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add yolks, milk, evaporated milk, 3/4 can condensed milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth. Add the bread. Gently fold the bread until it is all completely covered in the milk mixture. Add to a greased baking dish.
- Top with chocolate chips. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and set. Drizzle with remaining condensed milk. Serve warm.
If you love this recipe, try this Cannoli French Toast Casserole.