If you love tres leches and bread pudding, this recipe is for you! It combines the flavors of a tres leches with a bread pudding! Great for a get together!
The one thing we love about making a bread pudding in any variation like our salted caramel bread pudding and this tres leches bread pudding is the ability to make it ahead, especially if you are entertaining. Hosting doesn’t have to be stressful when you are able to find make-ahead menu items
Table of Contents
What is Tres Leches
Tres Leches is a popular authentic Mexican dessert. It is a sponge-like cake soaked with “three milks,” which consists of condensed milk, heavy cream, and evaporated milk. It is divine.
How is this recipe a Tres Leches
Of course, this is not your traditional tres leches recipe. We took the idea of a tres leches and combined it with a bread pudding. A nice brioche bread that is soaked with evaporated milk, condensed milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Bake it and top it with chocolate chips and a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk.
How to make this recipe
Custard. This custard is a simple combination of egg yolks, milk, half the condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla. Beat all these ingredients together.
Brioche. Cut up a loaf of brioche into bite size pieces, and pour the custard over.
Buttered baking dish. Pour in a buttered baking dish, approx. 12×8.
Make-ahead. This recipe is best put together 6-8 hours before serving. The longer it sits the more the brioche absorbs the custard.
Bake. Top with chocolate chips and bake at 375 degrees F. for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Topping. Once the bread pudding is done, top with the condensed milk. We add a whole can onto the topping, but feel free to keep it on the side and drizzle as little or as much as you like.
Tres Leches Bread Pudding
- 1 loaf brioche bread cut into cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 14oz can sweetened condened milk (divided)
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add yolks, milk, evaporated milk, 3/4 can condensed milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth. Add the bread. Gently fold the bread until it is all completely covered in the milk mixture. Add to a greased baking dish.
- Top with chocolate chips. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and set. Drizzle with remaining condensed milk. Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
If you love this recipe, try this Cannoli French Toast Casserole.