Bring all the flavor of your favorite restaurant dish to the comfort of your own home with this Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice! Loaded with warm spices, fresh, vegetables, and chicken, it’s a budget-friendly meal that’s ready in minutes.
Why You’ll Love This One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice
Any time we go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant, we already know what we’re going to order. There’s no need for a menu because you can never go wrong with chicken fajitas! High protein, budget-friendly, and sizzling hot, they’re always delicious and are so satisfying to eat. So, we decided to recreate them with a budget-friendly homemade recipe! Without further ado, let us introduce you to our Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice Recipe. It’s:
- Made with pantry staple ingredients
- Combined in one dish for easy prep and quick clean up
- Versatile to fit all your needs
- Great for
meal prep, and easily doubled to feed a crowd
Ingredients You’ll Need
With just a handful of ingredients, you can whip up a vibrant seasoned rice dish that’s not only high in protein but also loaded with fiber and bursting with nutrients to keep you satisfied. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken – We prefer to use chicken breasts, but if you want a little extra fat and flavor thighs would be great as well.
- Veggies – A combination of red and green bell peppers along with onions makes this recipe not only pretty but so good for you, too.
- Seasoning – Garlic cloves, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper combine to create a little spice and enhance the savoriness of this dish. To save time, we use store-bought taco seasoning packets, but you could also create your own with a recipe like this.
- Rice – We prefer long-grain white rice like Basmati or Jasmine, but feel free to use whatever you like best.
- Water – This is crucial to creating soft, fluffy rice. Or, if you want to really boost the flavor, try using chicken broth instead.
- Garnishes – Once plated, elevate the appearance of your meal and enhance the savory flavors with a sprinkle of cilantro and lime juice.
How to Make Fajita Seasoned Rice
After trying out this recipe, you’ll be saying goodbye to pricey restaurant bills or the hassle of standing over the oven juggling separate dishes. It’s a game-changer!
- In a large pot, sauté the chicken, garlic, and red onion in the taco seasoning and salt until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the peppers, and cook until soft.
- Then, pour in the rice and water. Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Next, reduce the heat, and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the rice is tender.
- Add your garnishes, and dig in!
Variations and Add-Ins
Feel free to unleash your creativity and customize this recipe to your heart’s content! Swap out the rice for quinoa, switch up the protein with shrimp or beef—the possibilities are endless. To jazz it up even more, consider some of our favorite additions:
- Shredded Cheese
- Black Beans
- Sour Cream
While this fajita seasoned rice is a satisfying complete meal on its own, if you’re in the mood to spice things up, here are some fun serving suggestions to consider!
- Over tortilla chips for loaded nachos
- On top of a bed of greens for a DIY Chipotle bowl
- Wrapped in a tortilla for a burrito
- Stuffed in a quesadilla
Can I make this seasoned rice recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Leftovers make for great
How should I reheat leftovers?
When you’re ready to eat, make sure your leftovers are completely thawed. Then, warm them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Or, add them back to a pot on the stove over medium heat with a bit of oil.
Do I season the rice before or after cooking?
The bulk of the seasonings are actually added to the chicken before cooking the rice. As a result, the rice is flavored as it cooks and all of the ingredients combine.
More Easy Rice Recipes
Get ready to be hooked if you’re new to the world of one-pot rice recipes! They’re about to become your new go-to dinner option, and we’ve got a plethora of recipes to ensure your weeknights are covered.
- This Stuffed Pepper Rice Bake is so simple and delicious that you’ll wonder why you never thought of making it before.
- A family favorite, this Chicken and Broccoli Rice is ready in 30 minutes or less!
- Better than takeout, this Wok Egg Fried meal is loaded with tons of veggies and plenty of flavor.
- Bursting with classic flavors, this Greek Rice Bake is one recipe guaranteed to deliver.
Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice
- 2 pounds chicken breast diced
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups rinsed rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Optional: cilantro and lime juice for garnish
- In a large pot, sauté the chicken, onion, garlic, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper over medium heat, stirring to combine. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.2 pounds chicken breast, 1 red onion, 3 garlic cloves, 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add peppers, and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until soft.1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper
- Pour the rice and water into the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil. Then, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20-22 minutes or until the water has almost completely evaporated and the rice is tender.2 cups rinsed rice, 2 1/2 cups water
- Top with fresh cilantro and lime juice, and serve warm.Optional: cilantro and lime juice for garnish
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.