Bring all the flavor of your favorite restaurant dish to the comfort of your own home with this Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice! Loaded with warm spices, fresh, vegetables, and chicken, it’s a budget-friendly meal that’s ready in minutes.
Why You’ll Love This One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice
Any time we go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant, we already know what we’re going to order. There’s no need for a menu because you can never go wrong with chicken fajitas! High protein, budget-friendly, and sizzling hot, they’re always delicious and are so satisfying to eat. So, we decided to recreate them with a budget-friendly homemade recipe! Without further ado, let us introduce you to our Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice Recipe. It’s:
- Made with pantry staple ingredients
- Combined in one dish for easy prep and quick clean up
- Versatile to fit all your needs
- Great for
meal prep, and easily doubled to feed a crowd
Ingredients You’ll Need
Just a handful of items come together to create a colorful seasoned rice dish that’s high-protein, full of fiber and bursting with nutrients to keep you full. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken – We prefer to use chicken breasts, but if you want a little extra fat and flavor thighs would be great as well.
- Veggies – A combination of red and green bell peppers along with onions makes this recipe not only pretty but so good for you, too.
- Seasoning – Garlic cloves, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper combine to create a little spice and enhance the savoriness of this dish. To save time, we use store-bought taco seasoning packets, but you could also create your own with a recipe like this.
- Rice – We prefer long-grain white rice like Basmati or Jasmine, but feel free to use whatever you like best.
- Water – This is crucial to creating soft, fluffy rice. Or, if you want to really boost the flavor, try using chicken broth instead.
- Garnishes – Once plated, elevate the appearance of your meal and enhance the savory flavors with a sprinkle of cilantro and lime juice.
How to Make Fajita Seasoned Rice
Once you make this recipe, you’ll never go back to pricey restaurants or standing over the oven waiting for separate dishes to cook ever again.
- In a large pot, sauté the chicken, garlic, and red onion in the taco seasoning and salt until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the peppers, and cook until soft.
- Then, pour in the rice and water. Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Next, reduce the heat, and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the rice is tender.
- Add your garnishes, and dig in!
Variations and Add-Ins
Feel to adjust and add to this recipe as much as you’d like! For instance, you could easily swap the rice out with quinoa. Or, use shrimp or beef instead. Some of our favorite additions to jazz it up even more include:
- Shredded Cheese
- Black Beans
- Sour Cream
This fajita seasoned rice is a complete meal all on its own. However, if you want to spice it up try some of these fun serving suggestions!
- Over tortilla chips for loaded nachos
- On top of a bed of greens for a DIY Chipotle bowl
- Wrapped in a tortilla for a burrito
- Stuffed in a quesadilla
Can I make this seasoned rice recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Leftovers make for great
How should I reheat leftovers?
When you’re ready to eat, make sure your leftovers are completely thawed. Then, warm them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Or, add them back to a pot on the stove over medium heat with a bit of oil.
Do I season the rice before or after cooking?
The bulk of the seasonings are actually added to the chicken before cooking the rice. As a result, the rice is flavored as it cooks and all of the ingredients combine.
More Easy Rice Recipes
If you’re new to one pot rice recipes, prepare to become obsessed! They’ll be your new favorite dinner option, and we’ve got plenty of recipes to keep your weeknights covered.
- This Stuffed Pepper Rice Bake is so simple and delicious that you’ll wonder why you never thought of making it before.
- A family favorite, this Chicken and Broccoli Rice is ready in 30 minutes or less!
- Better than takeout, this Wok Egg Fried meal is loaded with tons of veggies and plenty of flavor.
- Bursting with classic flavors, this Greek Rice Bake is one recipe guaranteed to deliver.
Easy One Pot Fajita Seasoned Rice
- 2 pounds chicken breast (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups rinsed rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Optional: cilantro and lime juice for garnish
- In a large pot, sauté the chicken, onion, garlic, taco seasoning, and salt over medium heat, stirring to combine. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add peppers, and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Pour the rice and water into the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil. Then, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20-22 minutes or until the water has almost completely evaporated and the rice is tender.
- Top with fresh cilantro and lime juice, and serve warm.
My son and I made this together. It was a hit, and fun to be in the kitchen together….and have him love the food he made! Thank you!!
Glad it was a hit and LOVE that your son helped out! xo, Alia & Radwa