This Egg Tortilla Bake recipe is the best hack for the easiest breakfast, brunch, or dinner! Made in one dish in a matter of minutes, it’s hearty, versatile, and full of protein.
Table of Contents
Start your day with a delightful and nutritious breakfast by trying our tortilla egg bake with cottage cheese and fresh toppings. This savory dish features a crispy tortilla crust, a creamy egg and cottage cheese base, and a medley of fresh toppings like tomatoes, green peppers, and spinach.
Topped off with a layer of melted Mozzarella cheese, it’s a satisfying and customizable breakfast or brunch option that’s easy to prepare. Whether you’re hosting a brunch or looking for a wholesome breakfast idea, this recipe offers a delicious and filling choice that will kickstart your morning on a flavorful note.
How to Make an Eggscellent Egg Tortilla Bake Recipe
This recipe comes together with just a few minutes of prep time and minimal cook time, which we love! All you need is a round baking dish (or pie dish) and a mixing bowl!
We even provide two flavor options to satisfy all your tastebuds. However, once you’ve got the base down, you can mix and match whatever you like best.
- Tortillas – We use a single large flour tortilla, but you could also layer several smaller flour tortillas.
- Eggs – We don’t recommend using egg whites as they won’t mask the flavor of the cottage cheese.
- Cottage Cheese – This is our secret ingredient to making this egg tortilla recipe full of protein and extra fluffy in the center! Full-fat varieties are best.
- Salt and Black Pepper – Adjust to taste. You can also include a variety of herbs and spices such as onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, or whatever you like best to add a boost of savory flavor.
Flavor Option One
- Veggies – Diced tomatoes, green bell peppers, and spinach or arugula help add color, vitamins, and nutrients.
- Cheese – We use Mozzarella cheese, but any variety you like best will taste great. For the best results, buy a whole block, and grate it yourself!
Flavor Option Two
- Veggies – Tomatoes, Kalamata olives, red onions, and spinach combine to give this tortilla and eggs recipe a little bit of Mediterranean flair.
- Cheese – A combination of feta and mozzarella creates a creamy, tangy flavor we adore.
- Prepare. Start by preheating your oven, and greasing a round baking dish or pie dish with cooking spray or a small amount of butter or oil.
- Form the “crust”. Place a tortilla in the bottom of the prepared dish, and press down lightly.
- Layer. Whisk the eggs and cottage cheese together in a bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Then, pour the mixture over the tortilla, and sprinkle your toppings evenly on top.
- Bake. Transfer the egg tortilla to the preheated oven, and bake until the eggs are set and the top is golden brown.
- Serve. Allow the egg bake to cool slightly, slice, and enjoy warm.
Common Questions About This Egg Tortilla Recipe
We don’t recommend using corn tortillas as they tend to crack in the oven and don’t hold the filling well. If needed, you can swap the flour tortillas for soft gluten-free tortillas instead.
Unfortunately, this recipe does not do well when made ahead of time as the tortilla tends to become a bit soggy. Luckily, it’s super easy to make!
Whatever you like! Feel free to mix and match a variety of veggies, protein, cheeses, and toppings to make this egg tortilla bake your own. For instance, diced onions, mushrooms, cooked bacon, sausage, pico, or cilantro all taste great.
More Egg-Filled Breakfast Recipes
- Protein Packed Egg Muffin Sandwiches
- Viral Feta Fried Eggs
- Turkish Poached Eggs with Cottage Cheese
- Easy Eggs in Purgatory (Italian Baked Eggs)
Egg Tortilla Bake (2 Ways)
- Cooking spray or a little oil for greasing the baking dish
- 1 tortilla 8-10 inches in diameter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Flavor Option One
- Tomatoes diced
- Green peppers diced
- Spinach or arugula chopped
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese (or choice of cheese)
Flavor Option Two
- Kalamata olives
- Red onions
- Feta cheese
- Mozarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). While the oven is heating up, gather all the ingredients, and prepare the toppings.
- Take a round baking dish or a pie dish that's approximately the same size as the tortilla. Grease the bottom and sides of the dish lightly with cooking spray or a small amount of oil.Cooking spray or a little oil for greasing the baking dish
- Place the tortilla at the bottom of the baking dish to create the crust.1 tortilla
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and cottage cheese until well combined. Season the mixture with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.3 large eggs, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, Salt to taste, Black pepper to taste
- Pour the egg and cottage cheese mixture over the tortilla in the baking dish, ensuring it spreads evenly.
- Now, add the toppings. Be creative with this step! Sprinkle diced tomatoes, diced green peppers, and chopped spinach or arugula evenly over the egg mixture. Or, use flavor option two with tomatoes, olives, red onions, and spianch. Feel free to add other ingredients like diced onions, mushrooms, or cooked bacon if desired.Tomatoes, Green peppers, Spinach or arugula, Tomatoes, Kalamata olives, Red onions, Spinach
- Finally, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese, feta and mozzarella, or choice of cheese over the top of the toppings. This will give the tortilla bake a nice cheesy finish.1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, Feta cheese, Mozarella cheese
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set and the top is golden brown. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the oven, so keep an eye on it to avoid overcooking.
- Once done, remove the tortilla egg bake from the oven, and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing it into wedges or squares.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.