Brown Butter Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with rich brown butter and salty pistachios and are full of melty dark chocolate chunks. Soft and chewy in the center and crisp around the edges, they’re always a crowd-pleaser and are so easy to make!
Table of Contents
- The Best Brown Butter Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- Perfect Your Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies with This Step-By-Step Process
- Tips and Tricks for Success
- How to Store
- Can I Freeze This Recipe?
- Common Questions About This Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- More Cookie Recipes
- Brown Butter Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
The Best Brown Butter Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’ve never had pistachio chocolate chip cookies, you’ve seriously been missing out! Loaded with flavor and texture, they take classic chocolate chip cookies up a notch without much effort from you.
Exploding with flavors, they’re sweet, salty, chewy, and crunchy, satisfying all your tastebuds! Plus, they’re great to prepare in advance and bake the next day.
One batch yields ten large bakery-style cookies. Or, you can break it up into smaller portions to feed a crowd!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Butter – You’ll need two sticks of butter for this recipe. We recommend making one salted and one unsalted to add nice flavor but avoid overpowering the cookies.
- Sugar – A combination of light brown sugar and granulated sugar helps sweeten the cookie dough while keeping the cookies soft and chewy.
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour forms the base of the cookie dough. However, if needed, a 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour can be substituted to keep this recipe gluten-free.
- Vanilla Extract – This helps enhance the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Large Eggs – Whole eggs and egg yolks provide structure while creating a rich flavor.
- Baking Soda – This is crucial for the cookies to rise.
- Sea Salt – Just a pinch enhances the sweet taste.
- Pistachios – Use salted, shelled pistachios, and chop them into pieces. If unsalted is all you have, just add an extra pinch of salt to the dough!
- Dark Chocolate – We use dark chocolate bars and chop them into chunks. However, you could use dark chocolate chips if preferred. We recommend 60% chocolate, but feel free to use what you like best!
Perfect Your Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies with This Step-By-Step Process
- Brown the butter. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes frothy. Once it becomes amber in color and has a nutty aroma, remove it from the heat.
- Cool. Pour the melted butter into a heatproof bowl, and add the cold butter slices. Set it aside until the butter melts, stirring occasionally to combine.
- Cream. Transfer the butter mixture to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, and cream the butter and both sugars together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Combine the wet ingredients. Add the egg, and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and beat in the egg yolk and vanilla until smooth.
- Whisk the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients until smooth.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Then, fold in the chocolate chunks and pistachios.
- Portion. Portion the cookie dough into balls, and arrange them on a baking sheet. Then, place them in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- Bake. Preheat the oven, and bake the cookies until they are light golden around the edges.
- Cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Tips and Tricks for Success
- Cube the butter. Cube the cold butter before adding it to the browned butter. This will help it melt quickly and distribute evenly!
- Avoid overmixing. Stir all the ingredients just until the dough is smooth and combined. Continuing to mix will result in dense, tough cookies.
- Use a Cookie Scoop. Use a large or small cookie scoop to portion the dough into equal-sized cookie dough balls, making portioning easy and keeping your hands clean!
- Don’t overbake. Keep a close eye on your oven, and remove the cookies as soon as the edges are golden and brown. They’ll continue to cook as they set and cool!
- Cool completely. Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving. Otherwise, they’re likely to fall apart!
How to Store
Once cooled, leftover cookies can be transferred to an airtight container. They will stay fresh at room temperature for up to four to five days.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes! Store leftover pistachio chocolate chip cookies baked or unbaked.
To freeze baked cookies, transfer them to a sealable bag or freezer-safe container, and transfer them to the freezer for up to one month.
Place a sheet of
To freeze unbaked cookie dough, arrange the dough balls on a baking sheet, and transfer them to the freezer until solid. Then, place them in a sealable bag, and store them in the freezer for up to one month.
Bake from frozen, adding a few minutes as needed. Or thaw the dough in the fridge overnight, and bake as normal.
Common Questions About This Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
You can use any pistachios you like best for baking. However, we recommend using shelled roasted and salted pistachios for a rich, nutty flavor.
Cookies naturally become hard as they become stale. However, if they’re hard immediately after cooling, it’s likely because there is too much flour, or they were overbaked.
Store your cookies in an airtight container with a piece of white bread. The bread will draw out extra moisture, keeping your cookies soft. You can wrap them in a paper towel, and warm them in the microwave for a few seconds to soften them back up!
More Cookie Recipes
- Date Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Walnuts
- Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Kitchen Sink Cookies
Brown Butter Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter 1/2 cup
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter sliced into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 ounces dark chocolate bars chopped into chunks (e.g., Ghirardelli 60% baking bar)
- 1/2 cup salted shelled pistachios
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 stick of butter, stirring constantly until it quiets down and becomes frothy. Once it reaches a rich amber color and releases a nutty aroma, remove it from heat. Pour the melted butter into a heatproof bowl and immediately add the cold butter slices. Let it rest until the cold butter melts into the browned butter, stirring occasionally until well combined.1 stick unsalted butter, 1 stick cold unsalted butter
- Transfer the butter mixture to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream together the melted butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar until the mixture turns light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Add the egg and beat for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Beat for an additional 30 seconds.1 large egg, 1 egg yolk, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and sea salt.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until just combined. Be cautious not to overmix.
- Gently fold in the chopped dark chocolate chunks and salted pistachios, ensuring they’re evenly distributed throughout the dough.1/2 cup salted, 10 ounces dark chocolate bars
- Using a cookie scoop, form the dough into 1/2 cup-sized balls. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until the edges turn lightly golden.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy these delightful pistachio dark chocolate chunk cookies with a glass of milk or your preferred hot beverage!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.