Satisfy your pizza craving with zero guilt thanks to this Easy Pizza Stuffed Chicken recipe! Oozing with rich marinara sauce, warm pepperoni, and gooey mozzarella cheese, it has all the flavors you love in a quick, high-protein meal you’ll make again and again.
There’s nothing better than a quick chicken recipe! From coconut chicken tenders, to chicken and broccoli rice, and crock pot chicken fajitas, they’re lifesavers on busy weeknights. However, this pizza stuffed chicken is our go-to recipe on those nights when we’re really craving takeout but are trying to be nice to our wallets (and waistlines). In fact, it’s so good our kids ask for it by name!
Why You’ll Love Pizza Baked Chicken
- It uses just 8 simple ingredients.
- You can easily mix and match all your favorite toppings to satisfy all your pizza cravings.
- This pizza chicken recipe makes enough to feed the whole family and bakes in 30 minutes.
- It’s super filling on its own for a low-carb, high-protein dinner and pairs great with all your favorite sides, too.
Ingredients You Need
For this pizza stuffed chicken, we took classic pizza ingredients and replaced the crust with chicken instead! Here’s what you need:
- Chicken – We found that boneless, skinless chicken breasts work best. However, chicken thighs can be used instead. They’re just a little more difficult to stuff.
- Marinara – To keep things simple, we just grab a jar from the store, but you could easily make your own at home.
- Pepperoni – We use turkey pepperoni, but regular pepperoni works great, too for extra flavor and protein.
- Cheese – You can’t have a pizza recipe without cheese! Shredded mozzarella makes this chicken extra gooey and delicious.
- Seasonings – Dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper create the classic pizza flavors.
- Oil – Olive oil is used to sear the chicken, locking in flavor and keeping it tender as it bakes.
How to Make Easy Pizza Stuffed Chicken
This pizza stuffed chicken can be prepared in less time than it takes for pizza to be delivered!
- Prepare the Chicken. Butterfly the chicken, slicing it down the center. Sprinkle the herbs and spices in the center.
- Stuff. Layer marinara, pepperoni, and cheese in the pocket. Fold the chicken over, and sprinkle extra seasonings on top.
- Sear. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken on both sides until it is browned.
- Bake. Pour the remaining marinara over the chicken in the skillet. Add the remaining pepperoni and cheese on top. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Serve. Enjoy your pizza baked chicken with extra Parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes while it’s warm!
Tips and Tricks
- Pound the Chicken. Try to choose equal-sized chicken breasts. If they’re super thick, use a meat mallet to flatten them out so they bake evenly and at the same time.
- Use a Meat Thermometer. To make sure your chicken is fully cooked and safe to eat, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast, and make sure it reads 165° F.
- Rest the Chicken. It’s super tempting to eat your pizza chicken right away. However, you’ll want to make sure to set it aside to rest for about 5 minutes first. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring your chicken is tender, juicy, and flavorful.
Pick up your local pizzeria’s menu, and you’re bound to see endless options. That’s part of what makes pizza so appealing! And while we opted for pepperoni with our pizza stuffed chicken, the flavor options are truly endless. For instance, a few variations include:
- Adding veggies like bell pepper, onions, or mushrooms.
- Using pineapple (This is blasphemy for some, but you do you!).
- Sprinkling in olives.
- Adding barbeque sauce.
- Folding in ham.
How to Store
Easy pizza stuffed chicken is best enjoyed right away while it’s still warm from the oven. However, it also keeps well for healthy leftovers you’ll actually look forward to eating!
- Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Freeze your pizza chicken in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Then, let them thaw in the fridge before reheating.
- To Reheat: Warm your chicken in a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Or, place it back in the oven until heated through.
Of course, you can easily serve this pizza stuffed chicken on its own for a satisfying ow-carb, high-protein meal. However, if you’re feeling particularly hungry try serving it over cooked pasta or veggie noodles.
Then, add a side like:
And don’t forget dessert! You can never go wrong with a Chocolate Brownie Pizza Tart or Cannoli Dip!
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
If you enjoy this pizza stuffed chicken, you won’t want to miss out on more of our pizza-inspired recipes!
Easy Pizza Stuffed Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian herbs (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder (divided)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup turkey pepperoni slices
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board, and use a sharp knife to slice down the center creating a pocket in each breast.
- Sprinkle the Italian herbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in the middle of the chicken. Add 2 Tablespoons of marinara sauce on top followed by 3-4 pepperoni slices and ¼-⅓ cup Mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the chicken onto itself, and add more seasonings.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken on both sides just until browned.
- Pour the remaining marinara on top followed by the cheese and pepperoni.
- Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Serve warm with extra Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.