These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies are a peanut butter lovers’ DREAM! Whoever you make these for will be coming back for seconds, and thirds!
A couple of tips for making cookies
Unlike in savory cooking, all of the small details matter when it comes to baking! That’s why we want to provide you with some tips to make this process super easy!
- Be careful not to over-bake your cookies! When you remove them from the oven, your cookies might look a little pale. But don’t worry! Cookies will continue to bake outside of the oven until they are cooled.
- If your cookies are stuck to the baking sheet, we have a tip for you. Use the largest round cookie cutter you have, and place it around the baked cookie. Gently swirl it around on the baking sheet until the cookie is released!
- It actually is pretty important to get the butter to exactly room temperature. The temperature of your butter will determine the texture of your cookie.
- Allow your cookies to sit on the baking sheet for a couple minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. This will help them keep their shape!
What to do if you are missing an ingredient
If you are dying to make these cookies, but are missing an ingredient, there are a couple swaps we can recommend. When baking, we recommend sticking to the recipe in terms of the flour, sugar, eggs, and butter. This ratio has been tested and we want you to have the very best cookie!
However, if you are missing chocolate chunks, there are plenty of alternatives. You can go with regular milk or dark chocolate chips or even white chocolate chips! You can use M&Ms or any other chocolate morsel you prefer.
If you are missing peanut butter, you can easily substitute this with any other nut butter you love. Almond butter and sunflower butter may not be as creamy, but it will still be delicious. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even substitute with nutella!
How to make peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies
- Add the room temperature butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar to a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, beat together on medium speed until combined. Be careful not to over mix!
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in each egg at medium speed. Once all eggs are mixed in, beat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is creamed! The color will be a very faint yellowish white!
- Scoop the peanut butter into the bowl and pour in the vanilla extract. Quickly mix together.
- Next, sift your dry ingredients until they are combined. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low. Then add the second half.
- Note: it is important not to overmix. Once the flour is added to the batch of cookies, gluten starts to develop. The more you mix, the more firm the cookie will be.
- Add the chocolate chunks and fold them into the batter using a spatula.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and scoop the batter into 1/4 cup balls.
- Place the portioned dough in the refrigerator overnight. We highly recommend this step to achieve the perfect texture!!
- When you are ready to bake, set your oven to 350 degrees. Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes after coming out of the oven. Move the cookies to a cooling rack and serve.
Some other cookie recipes you are going to love
Whether you are just a huge fan of dessert like we are, or you’re putting together a cookie bar for a party, these recipes are perfection. Add them to your “to-bake” list, or your dessert spread – we promise you won’t regret it!
- One of our most popular recipes is for our Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. The process of browning butter is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it. If you have time for this extra step, it is so worth it!!
- Our kids are huge fans of M&Ms, and honestly, so are we. That’s why we developed this incredible M&M Soft Cookie recipe. This cookie is sweet, easy to make, and so chewy!
- We are obsessed with s’mores!! If there is a dessert we can turn into s’mores, you bet we will try it. Our S’mores Cookies will melt in your mouth and have you feeling like you’re right by the campfire!
- Considered the “Frankenstein” of cookies, our Monster Cookies are a favorite dessert in our household. They are soft, chewy, and salty, sweet! These cookies are a must try.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 extra large eggs (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (feel free to do chunky)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add both butters, and sugars. Beat on medium speed, just until combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Be on medium-high speed, be sure to beat well in-between, scraping the sides. You want to beat for a good 2-3 minutes to make sure it gets light and creamy.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Sift your dry ingredients. Add in two batches. Mix on low speed, just until combined. Be sure not to over beat at this stage or the cookies will be dry!
- Add chocolate chunks/chips.
- Use a 1/4 cup scoop. Now comes the important step. You need to place the dough in the refrigerator overnight! Please do not skip this step!
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 13-15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes before moving on a cooling rack.