Featuring a fun mummy face, this Halloween Squid Ink
Why We Love This Bread Bowl Recipe
Whether you celebrate Halloween or not, we know you’re going to enjoy this recipe just as much as we do! Not only is it the ultimate comfort food, but it’s also super cute and so fun to make. The kids love to dig into the center and find black
What is Squid Ink
If you’ve never had or seen squid ink
What Does Squid Ink
Spaghetti Taste Like?
The flavor difference between regular
Ingredients You’ll Need
Feel free to get creative, and go all out with the holiday theme. However, for the basic recipe, here’s what you’ll need:
- Bread – You’ll want a thick crusty bread like sourdough or ciabatta. Thin varieties won’t hold up and are likely to become soggy.
- Squid Ink
Spaghetti– We love the extra festive touch the black noodles add, but regular spaghettiis totally fine to use, too.
- Bolognese Sauce – To make this bread bowl recipe super quick we use a pre-made bolognese sauce. However, if you’ve got the time homemade varieties like this make for an insanely incredible taste.
- Cheese – For the bread bowl filling you’ll want to use shredded Mozzarella cheese. However, to create the “eyeballs” of the mummy, you’ll want to use small balls of Mozzarella cheese. Alternatively, any similarly shaped snacking cheese will have the same effect.
- Puff Pastry – Easy to find in most local grocery stores, this forms the “gauze” of your mummy.
- Pitted Black Olives – Salty and full of healthy fats, olives are a fun way to create the pupils of your mummy when layered on top of the balls of cheese.
How to Make a Halloween Bread Bowl
The perfect dinner option before you overload on sweets, this Halloween recipe looks elaborate but is actually pretty easy to make!
- Preheat the oven.
- Slice off the top of the bread, and hollow out the center leaving about ½ inch of bread all around to form a shell.
- Add half of the bolognese sauce followed by the
spaghetti. Then, layer the rest of the sauce as well as the cheese.
- Slice the puff pastry into strips, and arrange it in a criss-cross pattern on top. (See blog pictures below.)
- Place the Mozzarella cheese balls on top to form the mummy’s “eyeballs,” and place the olives on top to form the “pupils.”
- Bake until the bread is golden-brown and the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm, and enjoy the squeals of laughter as your kids dig in to find black noodles!
Feel free to serve this recipe on its own. We promise it’s super filling! However, for a lighter meal or an easy way to add in some veggies, pair it with healthy appetizers and sides like:
Do bread bowls get soggy?
If you let the
Can I use a different filling?
Sure! Feel free to use any noodles or sauce you prefer. You could even fill your bread bowl with your favorite soup. Just be sure to keep an eye on it in the oven, and adjust the baking time as needed.
Can I make this bread bowl recipe ahead of time?
We do not recommend making this recipe in advance as the bottom of your bowl is likely to become soggy. However, if you want, you can prepare the bread ahead of time. To do so, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days. Or, store it in the freezer for up to 2 months. Then, when you’re ready to eat, follow the recipe as instructed!
More Bread-Focused Recipes
Whether you’re looking for complete meals or easy appetizers, we’ve got just what you need!
- Perfect for holidays, game days, and everything in between, this Spicy Cheese Bread Bowl is overflowing with the most irresistible dip.
- Perfect for cold winter days, meals don’t get more comforting than this Spaghetti Bread Bowl recipe!
- Made for easy dipping, this Spinach and Artichoke Bread Ring is the best appetizer for every occasion.
- This Cheesy Garlic Bread will have your family begging for seconds!
Halloween Squid Ink Spaghetti Bread Bowl Recipe
- 1 loaf sourdough or ciabatta bread
- 6 oz black squid ink spaghetti (cooked al-dente)
- 16 oz prepared bolognese sauce (or marinara)
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 fresh Mozzarella cheese balls
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (slight thawed)
- 2 sliced and pitted black olives
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, and set aside.
- Slice the top off the bread loaf. Then, hollow out the center, leaving 1/2 inch of bread all around.
- Spread half of the bolognese sauce in the bottom of the bread bowl followed by the pasta and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Cut the puff pastry into 1/4 inch strips, and arrange them in a criss-cross pattern on top of the cheese. Add the Mozarella balls to the top of the opening. Then, carefully place one olive on top of each ball of cheese. (See photos.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bread is golden bread and cheese is melted.