This Easy Ho Ho Cake recipe is an homage to the classic Hostess HoHos treat. This homemade version comes together with simple ingredients and “baked” in the microwave. The end result is a fluffy chocolate cake with a sweet marshmallow creme filling that comes together in less time than it takes to run to the store.
What Is a Ho Ho, Anyway?
If you grew up in America, chances are you’ve indulged in a HoHo or two. They’re a childhood staple and have been around for years and years. According to history and the origins of the Hostess brand, the first HoHo was made by hand in 1967.
However, it wasn’t long before the treat was mass-produced in facilities. Wildly popular to this day, a HoHo is a type of snack cake that consists of a cylindrical-shaped chocolate cake rolled around a cream center. Then, it is coated in a layer of chocolate frosting.
What’s the Difference Between a HoHo and a Swiss Roll?
Although similar, HoHos and Swiss Rolls aren’t the same. First, HoHos are made by the Hostess brand. However, Swiss Rolls are produced by the Little Debbie Brand.
Second, the most notable difference between the two is the size and texture of the snacks. For instance, HoHos have a thicker cake layer and a thick chocolate coating. Meanwhile, Swiss Rolls are thinner with a shell-like outer layer.
In addition, Swiss Rolls are found with a variety of different fillings. And are longer in size. HoHos always feature a cream filling and are typically shorter and thicker than Swiss Rolls.
Sweet Ingredients You’ll Need
Below you’ll find the staple ingredients we used to recreate the chocolate cream flavor you know and love in this Ho Ho cake. Be sure to scroll to the recipe card at the bottom to make sure you have everything you’ll need!
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour forms the base of the cake, providing structure. If needed, you can easily swap it out for a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour alternative.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar helps sweeten the cake batter, eliminating any bitterness from the cocoa.
- Cocoa Powder – Use unsweetened cocoa powder to imitate the layers of chocolatey goodness found in store-bought HoHos.
- Butter – Unsalted butter helps enhance the rich flavor and creates a fluffy, moist Ho Ho cake.
- Eggs – Let your eggs come to room temperature, and stir them into the batter to provide structure.
- Milk – We like to use whole milk to combine the ingredients, making the cake extra decadent. However, any milk you have on hand will work great.
- Marshmallow Fluff – This is used to imitate the classic cream filling without the need to spend hours in the kitchen making it from scratch.
Mix & Microwave: How to Make the Best Ho Ho Cake
There’s nothing easier than a microwave cake! They’re our go-to dessert when we’re craving something sweet because they’re so easy to make.
- Combine. In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together until they’re well combined.
- Whisk. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl, and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Microwave. Place hte mug in the microwave until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out clean. Be careful not to overcook!
- Stuff. Using a sharp knife, cut a small piece of the Ho Ho cake from the center of the bowl. Spoon the marshmallow fluff into the hole. Place the missing piece back on top, and enjoy!
Common Questions About This Ho Ho Cake Recipe
We recommend enjoying this cake right away while it’s still warm and slightly gooey in the center. However, if needed, you can cover it with plastic wrap. Then, store it at room temperature for up to one to two days.
If you want to double this homemade Ho Ho cake recipe, we recommend using two bowls and cooking them in batches. This will ensure the cakes cook evenly.
Overcooking is the most common reason why this cake turns out rubbery. Be sure to keep a close eye on it in the microwave, and check on it after one minute!
More Microwave Dessert Recipes
If you enjoy this easy Ho Ho cake recipe, treat yourself to more of our favorite microwave dessert recipes below!
- 2-Minute Oreo Cookies and Cream Mug Cake
- Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake
- Monster Cookie Mug Cake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake
Ho Ho Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup marshmallow fluff + more or less to taste
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the butter, eggs, and milk. Stir just until smooth.
- Microwave on high for one minute or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out clean. NOTE: Depending on the microwave, it may take up to 90 seconds. Be careful not to overcook, or the cake will become dry and rubbery!
- Cut a small piece of the cake from the center, and set aside.
- Spoon the marshmallow fluff into the hole, and place the cake piece back on top.
- Serve right away.