The Best Breakfast Casserole with Bread, this easy recipe comes together with simple ingredients for a nutritious, high-protein breakfast you can feel good about. Easy to toss together, and perfect for
What Is a Breakfast Casserole?
Casseroles are meals baked in large, deep casserole dishes. Made with a wide variety of ingredients and flavors, they generally contain some kind of protein along with vegetables and starch like potatoes, pasta, or rice. That said, a breakfast casserole meets all of these requirements but is made with common breakfast ingredients like eggs, veggies, and cheese! You can kind of think of them like baked omelets!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The items needed for this breakfast casserole with bread are super budget-friendly, making this dish great for
- Eggs – Used to form the base of the dish providing structure along with high-quality protein and healthy fats.
- Milk – This helps combine the ingredients and creates fluffy eggs. For the richest flavor, we recommend whole milk, but any kind you have on hand is totally fine.
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder help enhance the flavor for a delicious, savory taste.
- Bread – We love to include thick Texas toast for a bold garlicky flavor! However, feel free to use any thick-cut bread you have on hand.
- Meatless Grounds – To keep this breakfast casserole with bread vegetarian-friendly, we used meatless grounds. However, if preferred, ground sausage, beef, turkey, or ham would taste great, too.
- Veggies – Red and green bell peppers along with green onions are included for extra texture, fiber, and nutrients to fill you up.
- Olives – Pitted Kalamata olives add a salty, savory taste we adore.
- Cheese – We include a combination of feta cheese and Colby Jack or Mozzarella for a gooey, delicious texture that makes this breakfast casserole to die for.
How to Make the Best Breakfast Casserole with Bread
This breakfast casserole is super quick and unbelievably easy to whip up so you can be in and out of the kitchen in no time! Here’s what to do:
- Whisk the Eggs. To begin, whisk the eggs, milk, and seasonings together in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Arrange the Bread. Next, slice each piece of bread into four pieces, and arrange them in an even layer in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish.
- Layer the Casserole. Then, pour the egg mixture on top of the bread. Then, add the meatless grounds followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Refrigerate. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil, and place it in the refrigerator to soak overnight.
- Bake. To finish, bake the casserole covered for 20 minutes. Then, remove the foil, and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Loaded with flavor, this recipe is delicious all on its own. However, we love to load it up with extra toppings like avocado slices, fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley, salsa, sour cream, or even hummus! Then, if you’re feeling fancy, whip up a few extra dishes for a complete breakfast spread. For example, some of our favorite pairings include:
- Healthy Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Bun
Air FryerFrench Toast
- Frozen Yogurt Fruit Cups
- Baklava Cinnamon Rolls
How to Store and Reheat
One of the best things about this breakfast casserole with bread is that it’s super easy to make ahead of time and keeps really well! Just follow the storage instructions below to ensure it stays fresh.
Refrigerator: Once cooled, leftovers can be covered or transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Freeze the baked casserole in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
To Reheat: Let your casserole thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it in the microwave in intervals of 30 seconds. Or, heat it back up in the oven at 350° Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until your desired temperature is reached.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your casserole turns out too runny, it’s most likely because the ratio of the egg mixture to bread was off. You want to make sure there’s enough bread to cover the bottom of your casserole dish without being completely drowned in liquid.
Absolutely! Any bread you like best will work for this recipe. However, we recommend opting for a thick, fluffy kind such as French or Brioche bread in order to absorb the egg mixture.
We recommend keeping your breakfast casserole covered for the first 20 minutes of baking. This allows the ingredients to cook and set without burning the top of the bread.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
If you’re looking for more satisfying breakfast recipes, the options below won’t disappoint!
- Easy Oven Baked Eggs Recipe
- Oven Baked Shakshuka
- Turkish Eggs with Roasted Peppers and Yogurt
- Baked Scrambled Eggs
The Best Breakfast Casserole with Bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf texas toast or thick cut bread
- 1 cup meatless grounds
- 1 cup red pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (sliced)
- 1/2 cup green onions (sliced)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese or Mozzarella cheese
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, milk, seasonings, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Cut each slice of bread into four pieces. Arrange them in a sinlge layer in the bottom of a buttered 13×9 baking dish. Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
- Top with meatless grounds, veggies, olives, and cheese! Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Have you ever tried making this with ground beef. What exactly is meatless grounds? Is that a vegetarian substitute? Thank you,
Yes, we make this with ground beef too! Meatless grounds are a plant-based alternative!