Table of Contents
This olive tapenade is an incredibly delicious mixture of olives with capers, sun dried tomatoes, citrus, spices and herbs. This tasty spread is as perfect for a party appetizer as it is for an afternoon snack.
The main ingredient is, of course, olives, but there’s a combination of them to give it nuanced flavor and texture. Once all of the ingredients are mixed together, it’s balanced, light, and fresh while also being full of rich flavor.
Whether you need a last-minute appetizer (this comes together so quickly) or a make-ahead appetizer (it can sit in the fridge for days while the flavors mingle) this is a dish you may find making its way into your go-to recipe rotation.
Why You’ll Love Olive Tapenade
Who couldn’t love this deliciously salty olive-based concoction that’s so easy to make?
- Olive tapenade is incredibly versatile — use it as a dip, a spread, or even a topping on your favorite fish, meat, or veggies.
- You’ll be hard-pressed to find a recipe for something so flavorful that takes so little hands-on prep time.
- This tapenade is so balanced, with salty and briny flavor mingling with the delicate olive oil and bright lemon.
Easy Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Olive Tapenade
All you need are a few simple ingredients that are easy to source from your local grocery store to make this quick dish.
- Drained kalamata olives – Be sure to either pit the olives or buy them unpitted.
- Drained manzanilla green olives – When slicing they olives try to make sure that they are uniform slices.
- Drained capers – Draining all of the olives and capers is key to making sure that the tapenade is not too watery or salty.
- Sundried tomatoes – These add bright color and flavor to the tapenade.
- Garlic cloves – Fresh garlic adds a punch of flavor to the tapenade. Make sure that the pieces are small so that there aren’t uneven chunks in the mixture.
- Fresh parsley (Italian flat leaf) – This ingredient adds bright flavor and color.
- Fresh basil – Basil adds fresh flavor to the tapenade.
- Ground black pepper – Grind it freshly, if possible, when preparing the dish.
- Salt – You can use any variety you like but sea salt or kosher salt are both good options.
- Extra virgin olive oil – This helps to bring all of the flavors and textures together. Be sure to use a high quality oil.
- Lemon juice – Citrus helps to bring out all of the flavors and add balance.
You can put your own signature twist on this delicious spread.
- Flavor-infused olive oil
- Anchovy fillets or anchovy paste
- Fresh thyme
- Lemon zest
- Fresh herbs
- Other types of olives
- Red wine vinegar
- Garnish of chopped hard-boiled eggs
How to Make A Tasty Tapenade
You may have never seen a recipe as easy as this delicious olive spread!
- Place all olives, capers, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, parsley and basil into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pour the olive oil and lemon juice in.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over top.
- Using the pulse function, mix the ingredients until they are combined and minced.
- Transfer to a serving dish or storage container.
Tips and Tricks
This is a super simple traditional tapenade but there are still a few ways to make sure you get the very best results.
Avoid over-processing. Make sure to use the pulse function in intervals and monitor the consistency so that the ingredients do not become pureed.
Lightly pack the herbs. Do not densely pack them when measuring so that their flavors do not overwhelm the other flavors.
Use high quality ingredients. Since there are few ingredients and the recipe is freshly made, each ingredient should be able to shine and the best way to achieve that is by using fresh, high quality ingredients.
- Crostini, pita, baguette slices, or crust breads
- Dip for crackers, pita chips, or fresh veggies
- Put it on protein (baked salmon, roasted chicken, or your favorite plant-based alternative)
- Make it your sandwich spread
- On a charcuterie board or cheese board
- Over Greek salad
- Make tasty dips with creamy avocado, goat cheese, or other soft cheeses
Common Questions About Olive Tapenade
Olive tapenade is a combination of olives and capers with olive oil and various spices and herbs. It’s slightly chunky though the pieces should be fairly uniform.
Olive tapenade is a great dip for crackers, pita, chips, or vegetables. You can also spread it on sandwiches, add it to soups and sauces, or mix it into other dips like hummus, whipped feta, or a simple sour cream.
Like olives themselves, the tapenade is slightly salty and briny. If there’s an addition of citrus, like the lemon juice in this recipe, it can have a bright flavor as well.
More Delicious Dips and Spreads
Easy Olive Tapenade Recipe
- 13 oz drained kalamata olives pitted
- 6 oz drained manzanilla green olives pitted
- 2 oz drained capers
- 4 oz sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 1/2 cup loosely packed Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 loaf baguette or artisan loaf
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well minced and combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch pieces. Add to a sheet tray and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss together until the bread is coated in the olive oil.
- Arrange in a single layer on the sheet tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until nice and golden and toasted.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.