Creamy Herb Chicken features tender, seasoned chicken coated in a silky cream sauce. Cooked in one dish in less than 20 minutes, it’s a family-friendly recipe that pairs well with all your favorite sides!
Table of Contents
Why We Constantly Crave This Creamy Herb Chicken
Chicken recipes are always an easy go-to when we don’t know what to make for dinner. After all, with a wide variety of options like our chicken broccoli rotini, chicken shawarma, oven baked chicken drumsticks, there’s always something to please everyone.
However, while we love all our different recipes, we find ourselves making this creamy herb chicken again and again…and again. Not only is it one meal the whole family agrees on, but it’s also:
- Made with minimal prep time and a total time of less than 20 minutes.
- Created with pantry staple ingredients.
- Great to prepare in advance.
- Super versatile.
- Loaded with fresh flavor and a satisfying texture!
Ingredients You’ll Need
We kept the ingredient list for this creamy herb chicken recipe simple, using a handful of herbs and spices to create a bold flavor that will knock your socks off! Here’s what you need:
- Chicken – We prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe as they take on the flavor of the ingredients they’re paired with well.
- Seasonings – Dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper are used to coat the chicken, creating a savory, herbaceous taste.
- Oil – We love the bold flavor of olive oil, but avocado oil also works well to help sear the chicken and prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Garlic Cloves – Fresh, whole cloves work best.
- Herbs and Seasonings – Paprika, fresh parsley, dried rosemary, dried oregano, and fresh rosemary flavor the sauce, adding depth and enhancing the taste.
- Milk – We recommend using whole milk, but two percent will also work. We do not recommend using skim milk, because it won’t yield the thick, creamy consistency we’re looking to achieve.
- Cornstarch and Water – Mixed together, these form a sort of slurry that is used to thicken the sauce.
- Lemons – Use fresh lemon juice and lemon zest to lighten up some of the heaviness of the fats and add a bright taste.
- Parmesan Cheese – Use a block of fresh Parmesan, and grate it yourself for the perfect finished touch!
Flavor-Boosting Tip: Use the freshest herbs you can find for the best tasting chicken!
20 Minutes + One Pot = A Winning Chicken Dinner
This creamy herb chicken is so rich and flavorful, you aren’t going to believe how unbelievably quick it is to make!
- Season the Chicken. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Sear. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook both sides of the chicken just until they’re lightly browned. Remove the meat from the pan, and set it aside on a plate.
- Sauté. Add more oil to the skillet along with the paprika, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and parsley. Sauté just until fragrant, stirring continuously. Add the milk, and stir to combine.
- Thicken. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water until smooth. Then, stir it into the sauce along with the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Continue to Cook. Add the chicken back to the skillet, and spoon the sauce on top, covering it completely. Let the mixture simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Garnish. Add as little or as much Parmesan as you like along with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, and enjoy!
Tips for Perfectly Cooked Chicken
No one likes dried-up chicken! To make sure yours stays plump and juicy, take a look at a few of our top tips.
- Get the Skillet HOT. The key to locking in moisture is to get the skillet super hot and let the chicken breasts brown for just a minute. This locks in their natural juices, making them extra tender and delicious.
- Use a Meat Thermometer. The best way to ensure you don’t overcook your chicken is to use a meat thermometer to check that it is done. You want to pull it off the skillet when an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit has been reached.
- Let It Rest. Let your creamy chicken rest at room temperature for roughly 15 minutes before slicing and serving. This allows its natural juices to circulate, keeping the entire breast moist and tender.
We keep this creamy herb chicken recipe pretty simple and straightforward, but feel free to mix and match different flavors and ingredients to make it your own!
- Switch up the Seasonings. Add to or swap out the seasonings with any herbs and spices you like best. For instance, poultry seasoning, dried rosemary, dried thyme, Italian seasoning, and lemon herb seasoning all taste great.
- Use Butter Instead of Oil. If you want to really amp up the richness of the sauce, use unsalted butter instead of oil.
- Opt for Chicken Thighs. Feel free to use boneless, chicken thighs, if preferred, and adjust the cooking time as needed. Thighs tend to cook faster!
We typically serve our easy creamy chicken with al dente pasta, but there’s not much it doesn’t taste great with! Some other pairing options include:
- Parmesan Potatoes
- Baked Cheesy Mashed Potatoes or Cauliflower Mash
- Parmesan Oven Roasted Carrots
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- Greek Salad
- No Knead Cheesy Focaccia Bread
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Go ahead and whip up a big batch of this creamy herb chicken ahead of time for easy meals all week long!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three to four days.
- Reheat your chicken in a skillet over medium-low heat so the sauce doesn’t separate.
- We do not recommend freezing this recipe as the dairy-based sauce doesn’t thaw well.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for more family-friendly chicken recipes? Take a look at a few of our favorites below!
- An Italian classic, this Marry Me Chicken is guaranteed to knock your socks off!
- Fresh tomatoes, creamy Mozzarella, and refreshing basil combine to create an out-of-this-world Bruschetta Baked Chicken, turning everyone’s favorite salad into a complete meal.
- Skip the restaurant wait, and make your own Chicken Tikka Masala at home with this simple recipe!
- A little sweet, a little spicy, and totally delicious, this Simple Orange Chicken is a kid-friendly dish that tastes just like your favorite takeout.
Creamy Herb Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts sliced in half and pounded thin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
For the sauce
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- fresh rosemary for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.2 chicken breasts, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, Salt to taste, Black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, add olive oil.2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Cook chicken on both sides, ust just until browned. Remove from pan.
- Return the pan and set on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, paprika, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and parsley. Stir for 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant.2 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- Add milk and turn the heat to medium-low.1 1/2 cup milk of choice
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water. Add to the sauce.2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 Tablespoon water
- Add lemon juice and zest.1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Return the chicken back to the pan. Make sure it is covered in the sauce.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with as much or as little parmesan cheese as you like and garnish with fresh rosemary!2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, fresh rosemary
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.