Easy, creamy, and so delicious, this baked cheesy mashed potatoes recipe is customizable and great for family dinners, holiday meals, and everything in between!
Why We Love These Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes are one of our favorite comfort foods, nothing beats warm baked mashed potatoes…until you add cheese! We grew up enjoying this recipe around the holidays. Now that we’re grown, we prepare them for our own families, and they’re always a hit! Baked in the oven, these cheesy mashed potatoes are:
- Made in one dish without boiling.
- Extra indulgent and creamy.
- Great to make ahead of time.
- Super versatile to fit all your needs!
We do our best to keep our recipes simple, and these cheesy mashed potatoes are no different! With just a handful of kitchen staples, you’ll be able to create the most indulgent side dish ever. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Potatoes – We prefer to use Yukon gold potatoes for their soft texture and buttery taste, but red or Russet potatoes would work, too.
- Milk – For the richest flavor, we recommend using whole milk.
- Garlic – Freshly minced garlic will have the boldest taste.
- Butter – This melts into the potatoes for out-of-this-world flavor.
- Sour Cream – Our favorite secret ingredient, adding a dollop of sour cream helps create a thicker, richer texture.
- Cheese – We love Mozzarella, but feel free to use whatever you like best.
- Salt and Pepper – Add as much or as little as you’d like!
How to Make Baked Mashed Potatoes
Once you read how easy this cheesy mashed potatoes recipe is to make, you’ll never go back to a different method again!
- Preheat the oven.
- Add the potatoes, milk, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large baking dish.
- Cover with foil, and bake until potatoes are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and use a potato masher to create a creamy texture.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
If you want to take these cheesy mashed potatoes to the next level, try adding extra ingredients for even more flavor! Some of our favorites include:
Fresh Herbs. Include rosemary, thyme, or parsley for a distinct taste.
Bacon. Crumble pieces of bacon or turkey bacon, and mix them in for a hearty mashed potatoes recipe.
Jalapeños. If you’re not afraid of spice, chopping up jalapeños can be a great way to add a bit of heat!
Honestly, there’s nothing this cheesy mashed potatoes recipe can’t be served with. However, some of our favorite pairings include:
This recipe is great to make ahead of time and heat up for later, especially if you’re feeding a crowd! Once completely cooled, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Or, keep them in the freezer for up to 10 months. When you’re ready to eat, let them thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm your potatoes in the oven or microwave.
More Ways to Use Potatoes
Looking for more fantastic side dishes that utilize potatoes? Take a look at these family-friendly options!
- Boiled to tender perfection and tossed in a zesty lemon dressing, this Lemon Greek Roasted Potatoes recipe makes for the most flavorful Greek potatoes you’ll ever taste.
- Crispy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside, and loaded with flavor, these Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges couldn’t be easier to make!
- These Crispy
Air FryerPotato Nuggets are beyond simple to put together and outrageously tasty.
- Batata Harra is a popular Lebanese potato side dish that’s spicy and full of flavor, served over a creamy and cool whipped feta dip!
Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cups whole milk or milk of choice
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large baking dish add potatoes, milk, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover, and bake 50-55 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add butter, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Use a potato masher, and mash until creamy.
- Serve warm!