We made this easy and delicious loaded potato soup for dinner last night. Kalona Supernatural Greek yogurt made this soup nice and creamy without having to add any heavy cream! Give this recipe a try, you won’t be disappointed!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup while wheat flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1.5 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- optional toppings: thinly-sliced green onions or chives, extra shredded cheese, bacon, Greek yogurt
- Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil or butter
- Add onion and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Sprinkle the flour on top of the onion, and stir until combined. Saute for an additional minute to cook the flour, stirring occasionally. Then stir in the chicken stock until combined. Stir in the milk, and potatoes. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, but is not boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally every few minutes so that the bottom does not burn.
- When the potatoes are soft, stir in the cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt, salt and pepper. Taste and see if it needs more salt or pepper or cheese.
- Garnish with cheese, bacon, Greek yogurt