- Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold cut into small cubes
- Apple Filling:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the crumb topping: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and salt using a fork, or pastry cutter.
For the apple filling: In an 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the apples a pinch of salt. Let cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and lemon juice.
Spread the apples in the skillet evenly and add the crumb topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of salted caramel.